Alsheimer or Rue?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
JPH

Alsheimer or Rue?

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Let me begin by saying that I love both of these guys. Leonard Lee Rue III and Charels J. Alsheimer are the number 1&2 reasons I subscribe. But they do differ on a few important points, as is highlighted in the November 2008 issue.

Alsheimer is well known for his rut predictions baised on the moon phase. This year he forecasts that breeding (in the North) will take place between Nov. 24 to 30 in 2008.

Rue is on record as saying that northern rut timing is constant and baised on photocycle. He states that most does will be bread between Nov. 10 to 17.

So, given your personal experience and knowledge, who do you side with? They are both giants in deer reserach and know more than the rest of us, but they can't both be right.

(I'm with LLR)

OHhunter

RE: Alsheimer or Rue?

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm with Rue.

My own personal experience has been that the photocycle influences the rut.  It will roughly the same couple weeks every year.  Warm temps may influence daytime movement to some extent but if your in your stand between Nov.8 and the 20th hang on.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pm

They could both be onto something. Maybe the rut trigger is a combination of photo cycle and moon phase. Ask any paramedic and he will tell you that the moon phase causes lots of things to happen.  Maybe the photo cycle sets the mood, and the moon pulls the trigger.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Great question.  It's hard to dispute Alsheimer's 15,000 plus data points he mentions.

For me personally, I try to take vacation and bowhunt the week before my gun season starts regardless of the moon phases or particular date (my gun season runs Nov 8-16 this year). 

Once gun season starts, the hunting pressure becomes a large factor to consider.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Im gonna go with Charlie, he seems very confident in his observations and it seems to me he has done the most research on it and has the most information backing it up. I do not know if he has it pinned perfectly but I will go along with his opinion on it. I know this isnt the greatest place to bring it up but NAW has a nice write up on LLR in their newest edition. He has definently had an impact on us deer hunters and we owe him alot for his dedication. They both are top notch.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm

i would have to jump on rue's side on this one
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 am

I think Rowland is right....I've tried to think back and Our Bow season here in NY...not too far from Charles...use to start Oct 15th every year and most of my buck have been taken the second week of the season...just as the buck started serious chasing......Last year I took my buck on the 18th and the following week buck exploded in the area chasing doe everywhere
This year how ever I've been seeing rubs and scrapes very early...As I asked in another post ...I'm not sure if it's due to increase in buck or decrease in buck age or fewer doe ...which we have more fawn than adult doe....but rubs on our land NEVER happen until well into Nov. and I found 3 the other day..
We should all keep track this year and revisit this post....[;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:14 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

Ask any paramedic and he will tell you that the moon phase causes lots of things to happen.

[:)]

I am a firefighter/paramedic and have been on the job over 15 years. I've never bought that theory. My wife, who was an ER Nurse when we met, swears by it. I guess that's a discussion for another day.

But to be clear, CA does point to the photocycle priming the deer and the moon setting it off.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:49 am

After Alsheimer's prediction last year of an early rut, I'd have to go with Rue.  Definately wasn't early where I was.

I've not been hunting deer enough to have a firm opinion though, but based upon my own observations during the past 6 years or so I'd say the rut pretty much hits the same time every year in our location, provided the weather doesn't get too warm.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

jbhunter

Postby jbhunter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:20 am

I love reading both guys articles.  I dont remember what Mr. Alsheimer predicted lasdt year exactly ( lasts years issue is at home and I am at college) but my dad noticed chasing occuring on Nov. 3 and it had kicked in for sure by the seventh.  I don't remember years before that so I wouldn't take any chances and hunt when both guys say it will be heating up.  Like it was stated earlier the week before gun season seems to be when action starts and for a bow hunter gun season begins to seem like it just gets in the way and disturbs everything.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features