Share Your Scent Control Routine

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
SC bowhunter

RE: Share Your Scent Control Routine

Postby SC bowhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:56 pm

LOL. I haven't washed my hunting clothes in about four years. I keep them in a tote sealed and sprayed with pine cover scent in the off season.I use dead down winds and a thermacell.Havent been busted yet this year.All the deer have can from down wind of me.So i guess dead down winds is the real deal.I guess a thermacell doesnt spook either.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 am

How about this:

My outermost layer (Scent Lok top, bottom and hood) only get washed in the pre-season and run in the dryer after every 3-4 uses.

If I kill a deer, I will rub the outer material (except the hood) on the body and even the tarsal glands.

I always remove the Scent Lok layer before field dressing and place it back in a plastic bag. But I think the odor of a deer can't hurt me.

Crazy?

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Doesnt the scent loc then absob that smell and become useless? Do you ever have deer look at you because of it? Hey its all about trying different things right?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 pm

hmmm. personally i treat my scent lok like sterile surgical tools. i try my best to keep any and all foriegn odors from it. the minute i find a downed deer i tag it and return to my truck to take off and store my scent lok then return to get the deer so i dont any blood or get it sweated up. judging from the sucess's youve had though i cant say your doing anything too wrong.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:22 am

This seems to work for me:

I wash my clothes in unscented soap and then store them in the HS Bags.
I  shower in unscented soap and use unscented deodorant.
I  do not dress in my hunting clothes until I get to where I park my truck for the hunt,
wear 2 sets of scent loc clothing, my outside layer is the Savanna Scent Loc Suit with gloves and headgear.
I also wear rubber boots,sprayed down heavily with earth scent spray, with my Savanna suit on the outside of the boots, where only the top part of my boots are exposed,
and something that I have had very good success with is a cover scent of coon urine. I use the coon urine on scent wicks and hang them from 10 to 15 yards on the downwind side of my stand.
And always hunt with the wind in your favor, you can cover your scent as much as possible, but don't forget the wind.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:41 am

wash clothes with baking soda.
air dry
store in plastic bags.
shower with scent eliminating soap, and a towel washed and dried as above.
Don't dress until arriving on site.
use scent eliminating spray on clothes and other cloth items.

Thats all I can muster at this stage of my life.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:08 am

I always thought my routine was long but compared to some of you it is minor. I wash everything (body, mouth and gear) with Dead Down Wind products. I use the Dead Down Wind mouth spray while on stand every few hours. I use a lot of scent kiler (dead Down Wind also) and spray after every layer while dressing and undressing after a hunt. I spray all my gear (stand and bow) with scent killer. I use the Primos Earth scented scent killer spray on all my gear also. I also use the earth wafers in my clothes bin and scent bag to get some "good stink" on my clothes. I smoke cigarettes so scent is always an issue for me. I don't smoke in the stand (usually!) but I do smoke all morning before the hunt. I use ScentLok masks and gloves to help with the smoke scents. I spray myself down probably once or twice while on stand with the Primos spray that I carry in a small bottle to fit in my pack. I carry a urine bottle but I have been testing the theory of whether the deer react to urine smell behind my house only. I can't bring myself to piss out of the stand on the "good properties". I never get gass before a hunt and I only wear hunting gear hunting. My wife wants to kill me every time I wash my gear because it makes the garage stink like dirt. I use the Dead Down Wind dryer sheets but with everything else, I don't think they do much. I haven't bought any ScentLok body gear ($$$) but I do use the silver technology undergarments. I have to play the wind with the smoke smell. I don't ever have an issue fooling young deer but I do see a reaction in the older ones if they come down wind of me. All my permanent stand are 20 feet up. I usually go 25-30 feet with my climber. The higher I go, the better my chance is. I usually get 8-10 deer a year so I guess my routine works OK.

Does anyone else smoke? If so, what do you do to counter the smell?
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 am

I subsist on a diet of leaves and grass during deer season. I shower in scent killer, and have my armpits, mouth and nether regions hermetrically sealed before I set foot in the woods, but sometimes I still get busted.

Maybe it's my ears? Next time I'll plug those up too......[:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I subsist on a diet of leaves and grass during deer season. I shower in scent killer, and have my armpits, mouth and nether regions hermetrically sealed before I set foot in the woods, but sometimes I still get busted.

Maybe it's my ears? Next time I'll plug those up too......[:D]

[8|]

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm

WW, i thought you didnt get busted????
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices