From The Mother Of The Girl Who's Lunch Was Confiscated

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

From The Mother Of The Girl Who's Lunch Was Confiscated

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:44 pm

This is part of the letter Diane Zambrano, the North Carolina mom of the four-year-old little girl who had her lunch confiscated, wrote to the school district:

"Let me put this clearly and succinctly, “IT IS NONE OF DHHS BUSINESS”. I am not mandated nor can they mandate that I follow USDA guidelines. They can make the school lunchroom follow the guidelines, but when you start telling me what to feed my child and confiscating that lunch, we are going to have a problem. You better have a damn good lawyer, cause you will need it."

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Re: From The Mother Of The Girl Who's Lunch Was Confiscated

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Missed this story.. why did they take her lunch?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:10 pm

The school apparently had some funding to ensure that each child gets at least one heathy meal per day. The 4 yr. old came to lunch with a turkey and cheese sandwich and a banana. Some insensitive thoughtless teacher took her lunch away and told her to get in line and get the chicken nugget lunch. School officials said her lunch was fine, but she needed some milk. The teacher instead of going and getting the poor kid some milk, apparently she tossed her lunch and made her go stand in line for the nuggets.
Some talking heads complained that this was another example of government going too far, when actually it was a teacher being thoughtless in her solution to the situation.
I'm not saying that our Uncle Sam does not step over the line at times, but I don't think trying to ensure a child a healthy meal is that. All the teacher had to do was walk over and get her the damn milk...issue solved.
You are a teacher Deebz, how would you have handled it? (I think I know the answer?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Holy cow... that's ridiculous. I most definitely would have just gotten the kid a milk. We have funding for programs that allow us to serve breakfast and lunch here at the high school. The students who qualify can get it for reduced price or even free, but there's absolutely no grounds for taking the meal that a student's parents decided was what they needed.

No way you can tell me that the processed refined chicken nuggets served in a school caf is healthier than a homemade turkey and cheese sandwich with a banana...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 pm

From what I understand, the mother of the child had put APPLE JUICE in her lunch, and that apparently wasn't good enough for the food nazi who TOOK away her food and gave her the other. Evil apple juice. Bad stuff. You start a kid on apple juice and the next thing you know they graduate up to orange and maybe even CRANBERRY juice!

Apple is merely a "gateway" juice.

How rediculous. What if that child was lactose intolerant, and she suffered complications from that?

Either way, I'd be suing the crap out of everyone involved in this debacle. No wonder why people home school when they see idiotic morons like this in positions of authority over our children.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:17 am

This whole United States is getting redicules with rules and laws. Seems like everytime you turn around they want to make this or that a law. On top of that, we have people enforcing them who do not know the whole of them.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

charlie 01 wrote:This whole United States is getting redicules with rules and laws. Seems like everytime you turn around they want to make this or that a law. On top of that, we have people enforcing them who do not know the whole of them.

No, it's getting ridiculous with idiots and stupid people in positions of authority. Any sensible teacher would have said noted the sandwich and piece of fruit was better than chicken nuggets on offer from the school and noted the apple juice.

Instead, we have some under-trained idiot in charge of children.

The guidelines on food nutrition are excellent (although I'd debate that chicken nuggets meet any standards). A Woods said, it's the food Nazis making bad decisions that are the problem.

:roll:

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 am

Woods Walker wrote:From what I understand, the mother of the child had put APPLE JUICE in her lunch, and that apparently wasn't good enough for the food nazi who TOOK away her food and gave her the other. Evil apple juice. Bad stuff. You start a kid on apple juice and the next thing you know they graduate up to orange and maybe even CRANBERRY juice!

Apple is merely a "gateway" juice.
How rediculous. What if that child was lactose intolerant, and she suffered complications from that?

Either way, I'd be suing the crap out of everyone involved in this debacle. No wonder why people home school when they see idiotic morons like this in positions of authority over our children.

^^this^^

Honestly. If I want to send my kid ding dongs, pop-tarts and a pepsi to school everyday, WHO in THE HECK has any rights to tell me otherwise???
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:10 am

Great point! And you watch, the day is coming when parents will be fined or worse if they have children that are obese...even mildly so. The nanny state is on a roll.

When my daughter was in grade school she always wanted me to put the deer jerky I made from ground scrap in her lunch beacuse she loved it so (still does!!). One time the lunch room lady looked at her eating some and asked with a "yuck" face...."What's that you're eating?" To which my pride and joy responded, "Deer jerky that my Dad makes. It's GOOD, want some?"

By the end of that school year half the kids in her class were wanting it. In today's world, they'd have a SWAT team at my house!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Next thing you know the government will be telling us to wear helmets while we all drive our cars.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Return to Off Topic