Has anyone ever heard of "Sawtooth Oak"

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
peepsight

Has anyone ever heard of "Sawtooth Oak"

Postby peepsight » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Hello,
   As I a am rather new to this whole forum, I was wondering where I might find information on getting some seedlings that are from a tree/ bush called Sawtooth Oak.  I have seen it in an area north of where I hunt, and the beauty of this tree or bush is that it produces acorns that deer and turkey love, and it does this within 6 years of being planted. 
      Of course White Oak, is considered the bes tin our area, but there are years when the white is not producing a good mast crop, and the same can be said for the Red's.  I saw this one magazine, called "Get in the Game", where they described Sawtooth Oak as producing a bumper crop year after year, of great big nugget like acorns.  I also saw the leaves and they resembled a beech tree's leaf, except at the end of it's Sawtooth, there was a very fine hair-like leaf extension that protruded about 1/4 of an inch.  
 Has anyone else used this to improve their habitat?  And where is there a cheaper distributor, than $7.00/plant( sapling)?
          Thanks,
            Peepsight

msbadger

RE: Has anyone ever heard of "Sawtooth Oak"

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 am

Well first I have to ask what zone your in? I have sawtooth..we also call gobbler oaks that we got through our DEC 10 yrs ago and the ones that survived are now 5 ft tall...why? well because dispite what they say...zone 5 is a tad too cold for them and they go through a winter die back. The roots remain alive  but the tender limbs can't handle the cold causing it to have to regrow yearly....I had a DEC arborist just roll his eyes when I said we planted them...then say ya not good here even though we sell them......BUT I believe if you were to put them in the GOOD tree growing tubes you'd get much better results as far north as zone 5.....good luck

Oh ..check out the new hybrid wht type oaks being grown....they'er suppose to produce just as early...just Google  " hybrid oaks "

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:23 am

Sawtooth oaks are absolutely fantastic.  They do indeed produce a crop relatively soon after being planted.  We had ours producing at 5 years.  Huge nuts and yes, the deer will absolutly gobble them up.

In regards to your cost....I am a member of arborday.org.  It is a cheap membership and IMO very worthwhile for other trees as well as the sawtooth oaks.  I bought a ton of fruit trees from them as well.

Anyhow, if you are not a member, they charge 9.00 / tree but if you are a member, the cost is only 5.98 for the sawtooth oaks.

something for you to check into.

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Hey!,
         I just found them last night on a google search for about 2$ a plant.  Unfortunately, I would have to order them from Kansas. 
         We have vast tracts of farm lands where I used to hunt just last year, however, this year the owner's found out that a few of us hunter's (bow), were hunting there, and they posted that prime piece of land to ban bow hunting.  So now I am trying to go out to the deep woods, and get some better idea how to supplement the food sources.  
         Most of the public lands are too accessible, and therefore would be mobbed by other's who would take advantage of my efforts and never think to thank me.  I am hoping to plant these trees in a more remote and deep woods type of environment.  Do they need more sunlight or can they be started in the understory, and make a way up into the upper canopy?
             thanks
                peepsight

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 pm

According to the maps of the grower, I am in Zone 6.  I did see it in Warren, PA which is about 90 miles north of where I hunt.  But it is difficult to be sure, that that is exact, because on their maps they do not include cities or any other kind of reference, where I could be sure of where I am exactly.
             Still in PA, but not sure, because zone 5 also dips through our state.
                Thanks,
                    Peepsight

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 am

Have you tried The Wildlife Group In Tuskegee Ala. Phone # 13347249146

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm

No I haven't.  It is good to know that there are sources out there for more than what I have found.  I am looking to improve the quality of the woods, because all of us archer's lost a great farm where they had clover fields, corn, and alfalfa in abundance, but since it is now posted off limits to bow hunters, in our area,  I have to find new digs that are not crowded and are rather secluded, and still within decent driving distance of home.
       I am hoping to plant these on a guy's open land that is relatively close to a woods he also owns, with permission of course.  I want something that I can plant and forget about.  SO I also thought about a few apple trees or something that would make the deer want to call his neck of the woods home, more often than not. [color="#3333cc"] What does anyone know about pears, and other types of fruit that deer love?[/color]
              Thanks,
                  Peepsight

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:20 am

Apples are fine but usually a dime a dozen in many areas..sorta speak...you want some thing not comon so I'd go with persimmon and pear and or if your ground is acid nuetral or you can make it so paw paw trees....this all depends on available light...peaches as well go with the later variety of peach..to bring deer in early then say a early apple followed by the paw paw and pear...though thoses for two.... you'll need at least two each to pollenate...semi dwarf trees are usually self pollenaters(sp)...not all...secle pears are a good pear....deer are just killing the pears in our yard now....if you don't have wild bramble ..find a sunny area and plop in a few heritage raspberries...they'll spead like wild fire and deer love them..............

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:23 am

Also don't for get chinese chestnuts fast yearly bearing or hazel and wht walnuts....grow tubes will protect and cause earlier production in all the above trees...those are not inexpensive but worth the money.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:40 am

ORIGINAL: peepsight

We have vast tracts of farm lands where I used to hunt just last year, however, this year the owner's found out that a few of us hunter's (bow), were hunting there, and they posted that prime piece of land to ban bow hunting.  So now I am trying to go out to the deep woods, and get some better idea how to supplement the food sources.   

So did you have permission to hunt the property, or were you tresspassing???
From those who much is given, much is expected

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements