ear protection

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Robert Rowland

RE: ear protection

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:48 pm

In my case, it wasn't hunting or shooting at home. It was 155mm artillery.
I would be on the right flank of the firing line a little to the rear, working in the back of a truck with computers and radios. The box we were in was made of sheet metal and it seemed like it amplified the sound inside the truck. You couldn't wear ear plugs because you had to be able to hear the radios and computer alarms.
I loved the artillery and miss it now, but it did hurt my ears sometimes.

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I got to agree with woods walker, don't take chances, I'm only 43, diagnosed with tinnitus, a ringing in my ears 24/7/365,  have had it for at least 15 years. Spent way too much time shooting without earplugs or muffs while very young through about 18-19 years old,
Use them they work. I will not even mow the lawn use a leave blower or anything that makes noise..without using earplugs, including most times, an electric drill. I sure as heck do not want what I have left to go to quickly.   

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:13 am

I was told that I had it when I was in my 30's. That officially makes you a member of the WHAT? fraternity.

It's a nice bunch of guys, but the "dues" are VERY costly......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not STUPID, and I'm not here to slam anyone. I wear hearing protection when shooting targets or any other loud activity for that matter. I just can't bring myself to do it while hunting. I guess after hearing all my life that it is repeated noise that causes hearing loss, I figure one shot while hunting will not hurt. Maybe it will, but that remains to be seen. Yea, my ears will ring after a shot from the .44, but they ring if someone pops a balloon or drops a board flat on the floor too. I guess if I was hunting in a plywood box like the origional post, It would be to the point that I would have earphones handy and would not worry about being seen while putting them on.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:09 pm

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not STUPID, and I'm not here to slam anyone. I wear hearing protection when shooting targets or any other loud activity for that matter. I just can't bring myself to do it while hunting. I guess after hearing all my life that it is repeated noise that causes hearing loss, I figure one shot while hunting will not hurt. Maybe it will, but that remains to be seen. Yea, my ears will ring after a shot from the .44, but they ring if someone pops a balloon or drops a board flat on the floor too. I guess if I was hunting in a plywood box like the origional post, It would be to the point that I would have earphones handy and would not worry about being seen while putting them on.

PLEASE heed me. That ringing in your ears that you speak of? That's DAMAGE TO YOUR EAR DRUM.

Yes, it goes away. But each time you damage it, it takes a little longer to return to normal, sort of like a rubber band that get's overstretched. Eventually the rubber band STAYS stretched, and then you will be a lifetime member of the WHAT??? Fraternity.

We'll save a seat for you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Rob Rowland: Here's another perspective:

Eventually the ringing in your ears will become more uncomfortable, and then you will, like me, start to use hearing protection ALL the time, to save what hearing you do have left.

So...if you're going to have to wear it anyway one day,  why not wear it NOW, while you DON'T have ringing in your ears 24/7/365?  At least this way, your reward for being pro-active will be MUCH greater than mine, as you will STILL HAVE all of your hearing.

Many of you guys here think NOTHING of dropping hundreds of dollars every year on Scent-Loc, Trail-Cams, state of the art bows, and a bunch of other stuff that you don't really need. Why not spend a few bucks on something that you DO need, that will make a VERY significant mark in your entire life, not just your hunting?  In a couple of more years the new bow you bought will be yesterday's news, and the trail cam and scent-loc will be eclipsed buy some newer gadget, but the abilty to hear your grandchildren call your name will be with you forever.

It's your choice. I was stupid. You don't have to be.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:57 pm

I hear ya Woods Walker.  I will check out some new options for hearing protection.  You mentioned one that you use, does it let you detect sound direction?
So now my hearing is protected, was smart enough to never start smoking, and I don't drink enough to need a new liver. If you can help me out with the will-power to keep on an exercise routine and lay off the ice cream and cake, I could be set!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

I hear ya Woods Walker.  I will check out some new options for hearing protection.  You mentioned one that you use, does it let you detect sound direction?
So now my hearing is protected, was smart enough to never start smoking, and I don't drink enough to need a new liver. If you can help me out with the will-power to keep on an exercise routine and lay off the ice cream and cake, I could be set!

I can't help you with the high tech stuff, as all I use for hunting are custom fit sonic ear valves, that let me hear somewhat normal (for me), but will block out any sound over a certain amount of decibles. I have adapted over the years to relying more on my eyes, and keeping still more than on hearing sounds.

And if you can find a way to lay off the ICE CREAM (that's my heroin!!!), PLEASE LET ME KNOW! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

leroy

Postby leroy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 am

thanks a million to everybody.  Hearing protection it is for me.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:35 am

I dont use it. To be honest I dont even here the gun go off cause of the adrenalin rush.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands