Hunting land

gilkey79

RE: Hunting Land

Postby gilkey79 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 pm

I would like to put up at least 6 stands maybe more where are my best locations? This Land is surrounded by water as you can tell and the deer are mainly acorn deer

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Your stand is a giant yellow push-pin?[:D]

How about the north point of the grass field about 15 or 20 yards into the trees.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:43 pm

It's hard to tell if there is any sort of ridge from this aerial, but you should look for a long ridge that bucks would cruise while scent checking.

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:57 pm

I think that your current stand is good, and it is difficult to tell how the land curves and rolls from that aerial, but I would do like what was suggested and put a few stands to the North NE of the large grassland and at least 15 -20 feet into the woods.  Then I would set a stand on that road that goes South South east into the open field.
        Finally, I would put a stand directly between the water and the open field. That way you have things covered if you have some weather that pushes the thermometer up.  You did not say if you were bow hunting or rifle?  Those were my choices for a bow.
              Peepsight.

gilkey79

Postby gilkey79 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:07 pm

It is gonna be for both Bow And Rifle Season in Missouri. OK so what I have so far is where my current stand is also on the North side of the field and where the open draw enters the field. Thanks for the advise any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated also the terrain is pretty hilly.

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm

OK,
       It's nice to have an aerial map of where you are going to hunt, but I should caution you, that nothing beats going out to the property and doing a little in the field reconnaissance.  So, after studying this a little more, I have some suggestions, depending on how friendly the folks are at the end of that street.
       1)  Check with them and if you know them, or they are sympathetic to your quest for hunting info, see what sort of activity they are seeing in the woods or around their respective properties.  If the deer are regularly coming in to feed on their landscaping, then it is a good idea to offer to help them eliminate that problem by placing a few evening bow stands around there.
        2)  Also walk if you can from the back doors of their property out due East to that small clearing that is north of the pond and then walk down that trail...  You might find that some deer are using their bedrooms in that thick woods there, and then meandering down to the pond for a drink.  I would look for some good sized scrapes at or near that pond. 
         It is hard to say how big of an area that this represents, and I may have just suggested something that will take several days to thoroughly inspect, but you will be happier if you can take that time and really see what there is to see.  If there are crops planted in any of those fields, then you know where the deer are going to stop and you can predict after a few scouting trips the norms of the daily activities.
          Another Idea, would be to find a copy of Greg Miller's book here on the D&DH website, order it, and read it about "bow hunting in Deep woods and Forests".  I know that they have a copy of it, so get that, and I am sure that will give you more options and some pretty good strategies.
          For my two cents, I went with the availability of food and water, at just my initial glance.
            Hope that this helps,
                Peepsight[:)]

gilkey79

Postby gilkey79 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks Peepsight for the info. Are you talking about the pond on the south side of my map. If so I walked that area this winter and there is an area of ceders to the west of there that is really thick with ceders that you can walk under but is about 50 yards long by 30 yards wide and there was a scrape on one of those ceders that the tree was about 8 inches in diameter and the scrape was about 3 feet in length up and down the tree. Should I hunt in a blind under the ceders or in between the ceders and the pond in a stand?

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 pm

I think Ive seen this land before....I sware I have anyhow.. I would keep it right where your at. I would also try and put one in that funnel that is by the grass feild. Or put up a trail cam and see what kind of deer you have in there.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:20 pm

find the food
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:45 am

My best advice to you is EDGES, Where any two or more types of different terrain meet. ie- hardwoods meets pines, pines meet swamp, grass meets woods, marsh meets anything. Dont forget funnels. Good luck and keep us posted! If you need help hunting it let me know!Image
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Michigan