Color blindness

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Robert Rowland

Color blindness

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Have any of you other color-blind hunters noticed that you can see deer (or any other wildlife for that matter) better than your full color vision friends?
I have always been able to pick out deer and other wildlife seemingly effortlessly while others cannot see them until they move.
I once was riding in a van with three other friends and spotted some deer standing across a field in front of some timber. We stopped I pointed them out, but they did not see any of them until they began to move. This same thing has happened too many times to count with my wife and kids.
I can only assume that my color blindness has something to do with it.
I would like to hear from you other color blind hunters to either confirm my suspicions or debunk them.

burnnurse1

RE: Color blindness

Postby burnnurse1 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:50 pm

You know, I see deer all the time that people don't see first, but have never attributed it to being from my color blindness. And I always get that same "how did you see that" comment. I can tell you where my color blindness has really hurt me and that is when I have to track a wounded deer. Blood, multicolored leaves, and a color blind hunter is not a good combination. I usually have to go get help to find my animals.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 pm

I know exactly what you mean.  Too bad the blood isn't flourescent yellow.
Does a well kept lawn look orange to you?

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:28 pm

I was diagnosed with blue/green color blindness. Don't know how they came up with just those two colors b/c everytime I have to take one of those color tests with all the dots that supposedly have a number or letter blended in, I fail it miserably. I have trouble with colors that are close in color like Navy blue/black, light green/yellow, reds & oranges, etc. Yeah, blood trailing really sucks for me. I upgraded my gun to a 300 win mag simply so I wouldn't have to blood trail. They don't run far when that hit's 'em.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 pm

That is the same type of color blindness that I have.
I have to say that it helps for spotting deer though.

The other bad part of it is having to check with my wife or kids when getting dressed to make sure I don't look like a complete dork with some mis-matched clothes.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I am red-green color blind and have a hard time finding blood. I usually need to have someone come with me to help see a blood trail. As far as seeing deer before other people; I'm not able to see deer any quicker than my hunting partners.
Kyle

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:02 am

Yes...I have noticed that I see deer when others don't. I think I have better low light vision because of my colorblindness. A friend of mine who is also colorblind has noticed the same thing.

I agree that it is hard finding a blood trail sometimes...but my daughter helps me with that! :)
-Eric

Return to General Discussions