rage 3s

fasteddie

RE: rage 3s

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm

The RAGE 3 blade is illegal to use in New York State ............

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Legnip my practise rage flys just like my field tips. Gave me a lot of confidence when shooting it at my first deer.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Why would they be illegal.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:06 pm

deercamp the grim reapers are a very nice broadhead if you need some reassurance on them check out youtube type in grim reaper broadhead. They shoot those things through 55 gallon drums plywood everything you can think of it was the only broadhead not to break on the 55 gallon drum.

I like the rage bigger hole and I am not shooting through 55 gallon drums so I think I am ok.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:25 am

i have a shot story that could have been really bad. i use the rage 2 blade, and i believe this shot would have been bad news, except i was using the rage and i think that actually saved the shot.

i was shooting at a doe, perfect broadside shot at 25 yards. as im pulling the trigger on my release she turned to go back the way she came. the arrow was on its way, nothing i could do. she turned just enough that the arrow ended up hitting in the back of the hind quarter. it went in the back of the hind quareter and came back out the front of the hind quarter. it gashed her thigh wide open, but didnt actually hit any main arteries. on the way out, it also sliced her side open. she had a gash from her hip to her ribs. she didnt bleed much at first, but after about 100 yards there was blood on everything, and i started finding chunks of intestine on the ground. so although i did not actually hit anything vital, i found her easily. she ran 150 yards and tipped over dead. one of the most terrible shots that you could ever make, and she still died in less than a minute. i actually watched it all from my stand, she made a huge loop in an open field and i was able to watch her run and then just tip over. im not sure i would have had the same results with another broad head. i will never really know, but all i do know is that i definitely dont worry about deflection or blades not opening on hard angle shots. it doesnt get a whole lot worse than the shot i made, and they did the job well.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:50 am

Vipermann7 I have a similar story the doe I shot this year was standing broadside at 25 yards. As I was coming to full draw a red squirl began barking above me and the doe looked up and saw me drawing. I finished my draw and settled on  her chest. I released at the same time she decided she didnt like what was going on. I ended up hitting her infront of her left shoulder and exiting in front of her right.

I saw her begining to go down as she was leaving the food plot so at the time I thought I hit her double lung. I heard her crashing through the ceder swamp and eventually come to rest.

I got down from my stand and looked at my arrow and this is the only time this has ever happened. There was blood running down the shaft. The impact sight looked like somebody used a shotgun, blood everywhere. I was pumped now mind you I still think I hit her double lung, not.

I gathered my buddies for the tracking job. The blood trail was huge it looked like sombody was throwing buckets of blood on the ground. When we found her about 80 yards away from where I hit her I saw the exit hole first, which was about 8 inches long. I turned her over thinking I would see the enterance hole right behind the front shoulder only to find it was infront of the shoulder, that hole I could fit my fist in. It appeared the arrow hit infront of the shoulder and followed the brisket to the other shoulder, never entering the chest cavity.  

I gutted her out and found the heart and lungs untouched. I believe that the entrance and exit holes were so big the deer actually bled out. This in my opinion would not have been a fatal hit without the rage broadhead. I know no other broadhead does the kind of damage that a rage does.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:09 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis
Why would they be illegal.

The RAGE 3 Blade and the Tekan II's are illegal to hunt with in New York State as they are considered "barbed broadheads" . You can buy them , you just cannot hunt with them !

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:22 am

schlupis, yeah it is amazing what these huge cutting heads can do. i had a pro shop guy tell me once he would never use expandables, he said they are for guys who dont know how to shoot. he said you dont need a huge cutting diameter and perfect flight if youre a good shot. i bought the rage heads anyway, and for reasons just like what happened to me and you. sometimes you make a terrible shot for reasons completely out of your control. i like knowing that i can hit a deer just about anywhere and it will die. not because i cant shoot, but because crazy stuff happens, and its sad to wound a deer and never find it.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:44 pm

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

schlupis, yeah it is amazing what these huge cutting heads can do. i had a pro shop guy tell me once he would never use expandables, he said they are for guys who dont know how to shoot. he said you dont need a huge cutting diameter and perfect flight if youre a good shot. i bought the rage heads anyway, and for reasons just like what happened to me and you. sometimes you make a terrible shot for reasons completely out of your control. i like knowing that i can hit a deer just about anywhere and it will die. not because i cant shoot, but because crazy stuff happens, and its sad to wound a deer and never find it.

I put a poor shot on a coyote last season with rage 2 blade, he turned to run at the sametime I released the arrow. I hit him in the neck and it dropped him immediatley, dead in seconds, it got his spinal cord, and a large portion of his neck, continued through pegging him to the ground.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Well I broke down and bought the 2 blades too. I just had to see what all the talk was about. Ill be shooting both now. Grimm reapers and the Rage 2 blades.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

PreviousNext

Return to Broadheads