Hunting Hero's?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

Hunting Hero's?

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:26 pm

A lot of us like to watch hunting shows or read about hunting.  But who do you really enjoy the most? Who is your favorite hunting hero? There are TONS out there. From, Mom to Dad to Uncle or Brother, We all know there is even a endless list of PRO Hunters out there. Who's yours?

My Dad got me into hunt and my Uncle David is really a hardcore hunter, they are my hero's. My dad has given me many memories and some of the best advice one could ask for. My Uncle David has done so much for me to! From being there for my 1st buck to always sitting down and using up the whole day just to talk about hunting.

As far as pros go its deffenlty Michael Waddell. Fred Bear is right there too, but sadly I never have seen him hunt. I have learned a lot about him and how he hunted, but never got a chance to see him hunt.

Does anyone know where I can find some videos of fred?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

howhill1

RE: Hunting Hero's?

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:44 pm

my grandfather introduced me to the outdoors and while bowhunting and deer hunting were something we never got to enjoy together. the lessons of woodsmanship conservation ethics and a devout thakfullness to god for the blessings of nature are something that will be with me all my days and i will pass to my children and hopefully theirs. as far as a "pro" hunter hero, i cant say i really have one. while there are some i enjoy watching.they're really not so much better hunters than most of us as they are entertainers, buisness men, and entrepeneurs. while i agree hunting on camera creates a whole new challenge, hunting a with a top notch outfitter on prime ground that has already been scouted as well as managed for top end deer takes away alot of the inherent factors of a hunt.sorry i probably went into a little more deatail than you were looking for. my fingers didnt want to stop.

"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm

DeerCamp,
You can find some Fred Bear clips on Ted Nugent's DVD's.

Like many of you, my father got me into hunting.  I have pictures of me shooting bow in the backyard when I was 4.  My best memories with my dad are hunting related.

Regarding the current mainstream "Pro" hunters, I'd go with the Drury brothers.  I like their stuff because it's very educational.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:54 pm

My paternal Grandmother taught me woodsmanship and how to still-stand hunt.  I killed my first deer with her as well as my first squirrel.  She taught me a lot about hunting and she will always be my greatest hero when it comes to the hunt.  My other heroes include my two grandfathers one of whom taught me about stalking and the use of one good shot to make a kill and the other who taught me about firearms in general and most of what I know about long range stuff, he also taught me how to be a houndsman and all about deer camp practical jokes.  Last but certainly not least is my Dad who rounded out my education on a lot of levels and gave me a great example to try and live by.  From hounds to rifle rounds to getting up in the middle of the night to go pull somebody out of the ditch, horsemanship, and being a good nieghbor. My Pop has taught lots of us boys around the way of the world and how to hunt or just polished off our educations.  He is the last of my heros to still walk the woods with me and I am really looking forward to watching him teach my daughter things she'll need to know......

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm

I have no hero`s, hunting or otherwise. Especially the talking heads on the Outdoor Channel, who hunt in enclosures and over bait.

I taught myself to hunt, in the wild, on truly wild animals. Every lesson learned, learned the hard way. I owe no one. I grew up in the inner-city, in a tough neighborhood, and worked my ass off to get out of the city and pursue a hunting lifestyle. So, no, I have no hunting hero`s.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 am

my father would be my hunting hero.  Never learned so much from one person.  Patience, determination, respect, the list goes on and on.

Have had countless great memories while hunting with him that i am sure i will never forget.  One time in paticular comes to mind.  We were sitting together in an overgrown creek bed for the MD youth hunt.  Some deer came from a direction we never would have guessed.  Hero became gun rest as the only option was for him to lean forward.  I slid my shotgun across his back and dropped the doe where she stood.  While he was a very solid rest, i typically prefer when he functions in his other capacities.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 am

My maternal grandfather is my personal hunting hero. He is among a dying breed of true outdoorsman. He hunted rabbits as a kid, to help feed his family during the depression. He was among the first paratroopers in WWII and survived behind enemy lines during the Battle of the Bulge. Upon returning home, he made a lifetime of bringing his children, grandchildren and their frineds into the woods. Hunting, camping, canoeing, fishing, and hiking were all part of it. To him, it is about being an outdoorsman, not just a hunter.

As far as PRO's go, my hero would be Saint Hubert (657-727). http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07507a.htm

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:39 am

I have been blessed to have many heros of hunting, both my grandpas, my brother, uncles and my biggest hero my dad. They have all taught me something different and opened my mind to many options. Nothing beats hearing my dad say as proudly as he can " I'm going hunting with my boys" thats a good feeling and I hope someday I get to say the same thing.
TV personalities I have many that I like: Lee Lakosky,Don Kisky,Drury brothers, the reason I like these guys more than the others is because I feel they manage their own land and really work at the management aspect of  it. They dont just go to an outfitter and shoot a big buck. Yes they do have the right land and probably plenty of money to manage it but I still feel they earn it more than others. Cant forget Fred Bear, Nuge, and countless others that have done more for hunting than we will ever know. I also gotta mention my wife as she is very understanding and supportive.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:54 am

ORIGINAL: Goose
 I also gotta mention my wife as she is very understanding and supportive.

Good point!

...wish I'd thought of that.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 am

Can't really say I have any hunting hero's - especially people on hunting shows that I would consider heros.  Some I enjoy watching, but definately not heros.

I learned hunting a bit with my grandfather.  My father hunted as a young man and perhaps looking at photos of him hunting is what got me interested.  But by the time I was old enough to hunt, he had lost interest.  I think my grandfather took me as a favor to my mother - mostly duck, quail, pheasant, squirrel and rabbit hunting.  Most of what I learned though was just going out on my own and figuring it out.  Back in those days I could walk out the back door, down the railroad tracks, and be hunting on 1000's of acres of farm land.  The farmers didn't care and nobody was leasing property yet.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to General Discussions