What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Tim50

Re: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby Tim50 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:53 am

I just got a new toy. It's a Weatherby UltraLight (5.75 lbs) in the short lived factory chambering of 338-06 A-Square. I also got 2.5 boxes of factory ammo in the deal. I have not hit the range yeat BUT it handles great in my basement! :D I do not reload & factory Weathery ammo appears to be VERY hard to come by! I like the "different" chamberings!

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Savage model 99 300 cal.......150gr winchester :

thompson triumph 50 cal 100 gr load 250 gr sabot

ten point crossbow.....

singshot in the off season :D

Treestand44

Postby Treestand44 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:25 pm

:mrgreen:
GTOHunter wrote:I was raised hunting Deer with a 30-06 Remington Automatic Rifle with/180 grain Core-Lokt bullets and after several years of fighting with recoil I went to a Browning A-Bolt .243 rifle w/100 grain Hornady shells and have been using the same Rifle for the past 3 years with great results and 2 nice 8-Point Bucks on my wall.

What Guns are you Guys and Gals using and why have you choosen that peticular set up?

I use a Remington Model 7/ 7mm-08 2.5-9x40 Sightron Scope and Hornady 139Gr SSt-LM I hunt North Florida (Jasper)

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 am

I deer hunt with a 12ga Remington 1100 with a bushnell 3-9 scope using Remington copper solid 1oz bullets. Never have not gotten a deer no matter where it was hit unless I missed obviously. It's legal to use rifles where we are but land is too flat and landowner doesn't allow us to use rifles. Only two spots on the 375 acre property offering shots over 125yds anyways. I got this when my father died about 7yrs ago.

I let my brother in law use my fathers 30.06 for this deer season as he can use a rifle where he hunts. He ended up getting a nice 4pt for his first deer. He was extremely elated! Even more than the similar setup I have which he bought. Called me right away. I had never used the gun and there is a much greater possibility for him to run into a bear where he hunts than me.

I used to be a pretty competitive skeet shooter so I have a bunch of other guns. My best is a beretta 682 gold in a 12ga over/under with briley match weight tubes that enables you to insert the tubes to change to a 20, 28, or .410. I got it when I was 14 and currently 30 although it's been a few yrs since I shot it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Welcome to the forum gentlemen! :) I am sure your input will be useful. Convict Charley? With a handle like that I just got to ask, how did you come by that moniker? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Well nothing major just what most of my friends call me. I'm now 30 but two wks before I was 21 I was arrested at a country's music festival for underage consumption and fake identification. Cost me $500 and A few misdemeanors. I'm a pretty friendly person so it just sort of stuck I guess. Never been in any trouble since either. Don't plan on it. Half my friends call me Charlie but the other half just say convict. Buddy had to bail me out. It's a money scheme though that was my bail and fine if I didn't show up in court it was forfeited.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Ooops! The missteps of youth? Hope I wasn't being too nosy. We have a whole thread on here just for why you picked you moniker and what it means to you. There is another about occupations. Some of the answers may surprise you. It's not often convicts and guns go together in a good way. ;) Welcome to the forum.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Man...it's been tough,tried to get on here for several months and finally Ben got me lined up.I had to add the 1-to my name since I changed Internet providers I could not log in any more or edit my Profile...a lot has happened and been going on since I've been away.

I've acquired a new CZ-USA model 527 .204 "Varmint" Rifle and have been putting the Coyotes down!I'll be on here more steadily and visit more now. Thank You Ben S.

Classic2

Postby Classic2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 pm

GTOHunter wrote:I was raised hunting Deer with a 30-06 Remington Automatic Rifle with/180 grain Core-Lokt bullets and after several years of fighting with recoil I went to a Browning A-Bolt .243 rifle w/100 grain Hornady shells and have been using the same Rifle for the past 3 years with great results and 2 nice 8-Point Bucks on my wall.

What Guns are you Guys and Gals using and why have you choosen that peticular set up?

Hi, I am a new member and am planning to hunt this year for the first time..
What is the best rifle you would suggets for Deer Hunting in Northeast region PA and why? (.243/ .308/ .30-.06/ .30-.30.........)

RMc

Postby RMc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 pm

870 Express with vent rib, full choke and Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot. This combination works extremely well in the thick cover of the coastal swamps and pine barrens. In this thick cover, a deer or hog that runs a hundred yards before dropping is usually lost.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo