Best slug guns

HauntedWinter

Best slug guns

Postby HauntedWinter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:22 pm

In my opinion, I think the H&R Ultra slug is probably the best slug gun on the market followed closely by the Ithaca Deerslayer's I, II, III  What does everyone else think?

msbadger

RE: Best slug guns

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:56 pm

wouldn't give up my Browning

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 am

For one shot, that H&R has got my vote also. It's a sniper's weapon, but you darn sure don't want to carry it any further than you have to.

My other top choice (of course I have one! [:D] ), is the now extinct Browning A-Bolt Slug Shotgun. SWEET rifle type trigger, and also a RIFLE style stock, instead of a shotgun stock, of which most have combs that are too low, and make you take your cheek off the stock to see into a scope. 1-in-28 rifling in the bore completes the picture.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

federali

Postby federali » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 pm

I think the Tarhunt 20 gauge bolt action is the most accurate slug gun repeater available but expect to pay close to $3000.00. My Ithaca Deerslayer II has no difficulty shooting 2-2.5" groups with most any modern saboted slug at 100 yards. That's more than accurate enough for practical hunting needs.

I believe it was the people who developed the Tarhunt slug guns who discovered that 20 gauge slugs were inherently more capable of shooting slightly tighter groups than comparable 12 gauge slugs---something to do with the aerodynamics.

The H&R is nice but doesn't come with wheels. Ithaca Deerslayer III? I didn't know it existed.

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:15 pm

I have an H&R with Nikon slugmaster scope, WOW! With Hornady slugs it knocks the snot out of you, Sims recoil-pad helps, Boy can it shoot! It is a sniper weapon! Only problem, I have a bad back so my son and his two buddies have to carry it out into the woods for me, I have spent nights in my stand because no one would come and carry it out! Great gun but little on heavy side! Lon

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:53 am

I`ve heard the Tarhunt slug guns are THE best available. I just don`t have $3000.00 to sink into a gun.

I do extremely well with my Remington 11-87 Cantiliver 12 ga. It`s topped with a Leupold 2x7 slug gun scope, and it`s killed many deer.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:49 am

msbadger
My father lets me use his Browning Gold Deer Hunter
and that is an inredible slug gun
it pacs a bunch and it is really reliable to

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:48 am

Is your browning the A-bolt slug gun have been trying to pick one of those up for awhile now very expensive but have been told its worth the price because it is a tack driver...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 am

Naw nothing very special...she was the first gun Mr. B. bought me 28 yrs ago a browning 20ga pump...but I've taken deer at 90 yrds and she is still as accurate as my eyes allow...[;)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:34 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Is your browning the A-bolt slug gun have been trying to pick one of those up for awhile now very expensive but have been told its worth the price because it is a tack driver...

If you can find them, buy them. I will buy them from you. Right now, I have 4 people that would take one in a heartbeat after seeing mine.

What separates it from other production slug shotguns, is that it was designed from the ground up as a RIFLE, that they put a heavy, rifled, shotgun barrel on at the last minute.

It has the great Browning A-Bolt RIFLE trigger, and it's stocked as a rifle, and not a shotgun, so you don't have to pick your head off the stock to see through a scope.

I paid $750.00 for mine new, and it's the best $750.00 I've ever spent (next to the Ziess 10X40's I bought new for $600.00 in the 80's while the Dueschmark was still much lower than the dollar).
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Slug Guns