Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Jslotter

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby Jslotter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 am

Why put up a fence with that many acres then? This aint the only time I have seen this type of discussion here and to be honest, high fences and feeders isn't hunting to me. I dont care how many acres there is. Kinda makes me sick when I see show on TV of guy from TX blowing deer away after they come scurrying in when the feeder goes off. just my opinion.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:49 am

BigIron wrote:
Jslotter wrote:deer + high fence = bad or lazy hunter. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Your ignorance hurt my feelings? Why? I have high fenced deer that you'd never see. I love you farm deer hunters who think high fenced hunting is easy. I love it when my high fenced deer on 1200 and 1400 acres send you home empty handed. It's fun watching someone who's used to shooting "wild" deer comes down and goes home empty handed after trying to shoot my "tame" deer.

I agree with slot 100% --for no other reason than common sense...you fence it off to control the deer and their movements...dont care how many acres...it's a different breed of person that makes excuses for doing it...lazy is correct and by Bigiron's comment you sure hit a nerve with him..me or slot wouldnt go home empty handed ..BECAUSE not interested in hunting High fenced period...the cheap shot at saying he couldnt shoot one of ''your'' tame deer is pathetic...i suppose you have ear tags on them and name them also...Im not gonna candy coat it..you high fence guys just dont get it..and never will...

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:00 pm

"Wow. So that's it? You folks agree with the putz that put that piece of trash together and published it? So you agree that high fenced operations and breeding facilities are all that way? All because he found some that are the lowest common denominator? "......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I would call that a lumping. For me to argue for or against high fence hunting would require I knew a lot more about the subject first. I don't, so I will not debate it's pro's and con's. And at the price of those hunts, I never will. What I base my opinion on is strictly what I have seen reported. and what I have read. I have seen deer struggle to walk upright under mutant antlers. I have seen hunters given multiple bad shots because a deer can not flee. Weither or not a deer has been drugged, I could not tell you, but I have seen drunk deer before from fermented apples, and these look suspiciously similar. I do not paint with the broad brush you seem to favor. but I did not like what I saw in this video. Feel free to show the respectable side of high fence hunting, and I will pay attention well, But this phrase is flat out wrong "the lowest common denominator?" This refers to what they all have in common. This is an example of worst case, or poor example. What these men DID DO, is in my opinion wrong, and they are taking heat for doing it. I do not believe this is the norm, but it was done. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Jslotter wrote:Why put up a fence with that many acres then? This aint the only time I have seen this type of discussion here and to be honest, high fences and feeders isn't hunting to me. I dont care how many acres there is. Kinda makes me sick when I see show on TV of guy from TX blowing deer away after they come scurrying in when the feeder goes off. just my opinion.

You have a thread here that tells you exactly why I fence off that many acres and more. It's called fractionation of property. It's exactly why you have a guy in another thread wondering "where have all the deer gone". In Texas most of our land is private. When it gets cut up into small pieces (combined with a lower natural carrying capacity than you folks in the north have), and then you combine that with every Tom Dick and Harry shooting everything that moves then the deer "disappear".

In Texas we have a VAST proportion of our population that hunts. Way more than will support poorly managed places. When you have blinds lined up all along the edge of your property with guys that only want to fill their freezers it makes the deer "disappear". If you live long enough and the population of hunters grows large enough you'll see what I mean when the number of hunters grows past the natural capacity of the land to support that pressure.

So, we protect our hunting ranches by high fencing. And feeding. And the deer in those fenced ranches get REAL smart REAL fast. I know you don't believe Ted Nugent but he's right when he says some of his easiest hunting is northern farm deer, and some of his hardest hunting is for the 200+ animals on his 230 acre high fenced place in Texas.

We are FAR from lazy. You can call us "bad" based on your own flawed definition of "bad". But your ignorance is evidenced in the lazy remark. And that goes for the guy that just agreed with you.

I've started bow hunting over my feeders this year on my high fenced ranch. I've spent countless hours in those sets. I have had ONE shot.

How many shots did you get at your "wild" deer this year? :lol:
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:16 pm

I launched one fatal arrow this last season, and I didnt need a feeder or fences to keep "my" deer from moving off the property so I wouldnt have to worry if someone else killed "my" deer. I actually spent time scouting, and studying the lay of the land how the animals move. I could have just as easily said screw it, and illegally put up a feeder. But, I like to feel as though I earned my kill and not cut corners and make it way to easy. Sorry your season sucked. Better check for holes in the fence, the deer might have snuck out.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 pm

I see nothing wrong with feeding deer, in fact i do it myself. Since corn is now $9.00 per 50lbs bag, and each of my gravity feeders can hold 8 bags times 3 active feeders, the cost is too high for me to continue with corn. I started oak trees for planting in the spring, and gathered acorns from several neighbor's yards for use in my feeders. It helps my neighbors and it helps me feed the deer. I will try clover and honeysuckle if I can get them to grow. I find a gravity feeder no different than hunting an apple orchard, or stand of oaks. There is no dinner bell conditioning, and they can feed at night if they wish. It is just a draw to try to give them a reason to stay in the area. I will do what I can to make my property attractive to them, but I will not cage them. When you hunt in a cage, they kick you out of the petting zoo. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Jslotter wrote:I launched one fatal arrow this last season, and I didnt need a feeder or fences to keep "my" deer from moving off the property so I wouldnt have to worry if someone else killed "my" deer. I actually spent time scouting, and studying the lay of the land how the animals move. I could have just as easily said screw it, and illegally put up a feeder. But, I like to feel as though I earned my kill and not cut corners and make it way to easy. Sorry your season sucked. Better check for holes in the fence, the deer might have snuck out.

I'll bet you used scent killers and scents and other bait like things. And you probably hunted the only cover the poor deer had to go to from their night time feeding grounds. And you're a better hunter because of that and you denigrate feeder hunters when we hunt thousands of square miles of brush that you can't pattern deer in.

Yup. You're a real gem attacking others for doing what they can to enhance their opportunities. And the ONLY fair chase is if you run the deer down and kill it with your bare hands. But I'll bet you don't do that do you? But you can look down on others from your lofty BS self image.

Yeah. You're a real piece of work. :lol:

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:36 pm

kellory wrote:I see nothing wrong with feeding deer, in fact i do it myself. Since corn is now $9.00 per 50lbs bag, and each of my gravity feeders can hold 8 bags times 3 active feeders, the cost is too high for me to continue with corn. I started oak trees for planting in the spring, and gathered acorns from several neighbor's yards for use in my feeders. It helps my neighbors and it helps me feed the deer. I will try clover and honeysuckle if I can get them to grow. I find a gravity feeder no different than hunting an apple orchard, or stand of oaks. There is no dinner bell conditioning, and they can feed at night if they wish. It is just a draw to try to give them a reason to stay in the area. I will do what I can to make my property attractive to them, but I will not cage them. When you hunt in a cage, they kick you out of the petting zoo. :|

Petting zoo... uh huh. I'll bet your eyes are brown aren't they?

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:24 pm

In fact my eyes are brown, but not from being full of it. It's from many miles of close, careful tracking, wind blown dust, and long sun burnt days. And of course, genetics. Different lands have different challenges. That is true anywhere. And how we hunt them, varies with the conditions we face. but if I screw up, and that deer winds me, he's gone, gone, gone! You deer, if he winds you, can still be backed into a fence, a corner, or even left to settle down, and hunted again in a few hours or days. You could reek and use it to herd deer into a corner, you could make as many mistakes as there are to make, and you will still have another shot at your deer. That for me is the difference. My deer can keep his freedom if he outsmarts me. Your deer has a life sentence, without the possibility of parole. It may be a big cage, but it's still a cage. And yes, they say the same thing about zoos. :|

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 am

kellory wrote:In fact my eyes are brown, but not from being full of it. It's from many miles of close, careful tracking, wind blown dust, and long sun burnt days. And of course, genetics. Different lands have different challenges. That is true anywhere. And how we hunt them, varies with the conditions we face. but if I screw up, and that deer winds me, he's gone, gone, gone! You deer, if he winds you, can still be backed into a fence, a corner, or even left to settle down, and hunted again in a few hours or days. You could reek and use it to herd deer into a corner, you could make as many mistakes as there are to make, and you will still have another shot at your deer. That for me is the difference. My deer can keep his freedom if he outsmarts me. Your deer has a life sentence, without the possibility of parole. It may be a big cage, but it's still a cage. And yes, they say the same thing about zoos. :|

Thanks for making my point. Your assumptions are perfect evidence of someone talking trash about something they've never seen or done in person. I have deer on my ranches that disappear for one or two years before they walk in front of a camera again and I then find out that what I thought the yotes had gotten were actually still alive. On my ranches I don't have the only source of food cornered or the only source of cover cornered like you do.

The difference is I never attack your method until you attack mine. The hypocrisy and ignorance of people who take your position is astounding and I must say somewhat entertaining. But it really does endanger hunting by driving rifts in a group that really should be locking arms in the fight agains anti's.

And you may have genetically brown eyes. But they've got a rock solid backup.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions