Treestands: How high is too high, and how low is too low?

Legnip

Treestands: How high is too high, and how low is too low?

Postby Legnip » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I prefer my treestands to be about 15' off the ground, but I've also hunted from the ground, 3' off the ground while standing on a stump, and as high as 32' off the ground.

What works best for you and do you really get any more of an advantage for being 20', 25', or 30' off the ground?

PS. I missed one while standing on the stump but got one while just 8' up and at only 7 yards.
From those who much is given, much is expected

DeerCamp

RE: Treestands: How high is too high, and how low is too low?

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:52 pm

I like to go about 22-30' off the ground. The deer dont seem to see or smell me. I can move around a little more and have some room for error when a deer is around. I dont care for anything lower, it seem's that when I hunt low I get busted by smell or seen.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 am

i like to get as high as the situation allows, up to 30'.  Sometimes the tree itself prevents getting higher.  Sometimes the surrounding canopy prevents going higher, low branches from other trees block view.  However, when given the option, i will always climb a little higher because i have never had a deer bust me because i was too high in a tree.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 am

I believe ive read as far as shot angle goes 17 ft is a good height. For me I like to sit  around 20 ft up but each situation is different. I dont think there is a to low there are plenty of deer taken off the ground each year. I would venture to say that the higher up you are the more movement you can get away with and your scent cloud will be a little higher. I would say what ever your comfortable at would be best. Also remember the higher up you are the smaller your target gets. As in you might only get one lung instead of two because the lungs are seperated more the higher you are. Backround cover I think is more important but thats just me.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:21 pm

All of my stands are about 15-17 feet and work very well. If I use climber stands in the future I may go a little higher.
Kyle

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:18 pm

I would love to take one from the ground. I bought a pop up blind, but haven't had much luck with it. YET... The season is almost here.
From those who much is given, much is expected

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:22 pm

With the early season and the leaves still on the tree it's easy to sit 15 ft and be fine.  Once those leaves fall though I feel you need to be higher.  I only hang my stands once per season though so I put it up there about 25 ft. right away.  I've noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of deer that can see me and I'm able to move more too w/out being detected!

Brow Tine

Postby Brow Tine » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:42 am

15' to 20' works best for me.  If im in one of my climbers i will usually go 17' - 25'
--Brow Tine

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:31 am

i've never hunted more than 12 feet off the ground,and average about 4 deer a year in the freezer......last year was 6 deer in the freezer

i really have no need to go higher than that

deerhunter125

Postby deerhunter125 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:45 am

i hunt from 12 to 15 feet off the ground and have had numerous bucks and does walk right underneath me or stand 3 yards in front of me and they didnt have a clue i was there

Next

Return to Wisconsin