Greatest hunting memory

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
convict charlie

Greatest hunting memory

Postby convict charlie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

What is your greatest hunting memory?

I have shot a bunch of deer but will go for a turkey on this one. Mind you I shot a bird that spring that someone else had called in for me that was at the taxidermist already. It was awesome just was not the same though.

I had gone out by myself to a patch of wood called Charlie land. I have my own little 16 acre plot that the landowner designated my area and I'm the only one who hunts there for anything. It's separate from the rest of the property by water and thick brush. The night before the guys were making fun of my turkey calling. Not going to lie I'm not the best but I have improved. When I went out alone I know all of the guys were laughing at me. I didn't think my chances were great. Well I was the only one to call in a bird or even see any that day. I called in eight of them and got a little jake! We're bigger birds in the pack I just shot the first one. Couldn't believe when I brought it back, truthfully me either.

There is nothing like turkey hunting and having a wild animal calling back to you. I would prefer deer hunting though. Well in a nutshell its the memory that I can say made me the happiest in the woods even if it was just for a little while.

Woods Walker

Re: Greatest hunting memory

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am

Do I have to pick just one? I have 45 years of them, some true "trophy" hunts, and many were hunts where no game at all was killed but are priceless none the less.

Maybe we need to catagorize them? If I have to choose just one, I will have think for a while!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 am

Lol no you don't we're all open to tell what we want. There is probably fifteen different ones I can post but that's the one I went with. We're all sportsman here and like to read stories. If you have the time to type it I'm sure we will have the time to enjoy reading it. I may even add more later.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 am

Ok. I'll begin with this one, which is probably my favorite or at least in the top 5.......

When my daughter was 8 years old, I had taken her bowhunting with me in the earlier part of the season when it wasn't so cold. I had a ladder stand set up in an oak that had three trunks coming out of the base so it hid the ladder real well. To make her feel a part of it, I told her that I really needed her there to help me watch, so we'd worked up a signal of hand signals so that she wouldn't have to talk (I had stressed to her the importance of being quiet and not moving). We had signals for deer (both doe and buck), squirrels, coyotes, and turkeys. The drill was that if I saw something, that I'd tap the top of her head (she was sitting on the rung below me), and if she saw something she'd tap my boot.

We stayed out about 3 hours that day, which more than surprised me, because I would have been grateful for even one hour! On the way back to the truck, I told her that I hoped she wasn't too disappointed that we didn't see any deer, to whcih she responded,

"But Dad, I DID see a deer!"

"Where did you see it?", I asked.

"Walking along the fence line at the edge of the woods that bordered the field."

"Why didn't you signal me?"

"I did Dad! I tapped on the top of your boot twice, but you didn't look!"

Sure enough, I was wearing heavy pac boots and didn't feel it, so I had to apologize to her!

So much for me being the "teacher"!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

NRA Endowment Life Member

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 am

my best one is of me and my oldest son going out turkey hunting on my in-laws property ...

that morning was quiet ... and nothing much going on just hearing some hens yelping through the morning and not seeing much that day .. then some neighbor got a gas powered leaf blower out and was running it for over an hour ... i was watching out of the blind and did not realize than my son had fallen asleep ...
i tapped his boot for him to make a call with the box ... he did not make any call at all .. looked at him .. and seen he was asleep so i thought i would leave the blind and relieve myself in a tree ,,, but he had gone out and did not zip up the door and as i looked over my shoulder and seen a very big tom ...

i took my time and got my 12g swung around slowly very slowly the bird was no more than 15 yards away ..

when i pulled the trigger (3" 2oz turkey mag) he jumped out of his chair and pulled the blind down around me and him so i was wrapped in the blind with my shotgun and him and the chairs ... i was sooo wanting to see if i got the bird it was a fight to get out of the mess and untangled ...

then the ultimate insult happened to me ... i reached for the bird to grab his feet ... and the one leg swung and landed the spur right at the back of my fingernail...
felt like i just slammed my finger in the car door ,,,

so while i was doing the flintstone dance holding my finger my son was checking out the bird and trying to get the blind set back up ....

priceless ... memory i will not ever forget ....
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 pm

This past season holds my greatest memory. It was the first time I killed 2 deer back to back.

I was hunting out of a box stand during the first rut and I saw a doe walk out down the East lane. So I stared at her for about 2-3 minutes trying to decide whether or not to take her down and then I hear what sounded like a horse galloping right below my stand. Turns out it was a big 8 point headed up the North lane. So I quickly shifted my sights onto him as he slowly started getting out of sight. I took the first broad shot I got and he ran East into the thicket. With my heart racing, I barely remembered to check on the doe and sure enough, she was sitting there staring like a deer caught in the headlights. I threw up my gun and put it on her and almost decided against pulling the trigger since I was pretty sure I hit the buck. With a split-second decision, I pulled the trigger and she ran North into the thicket.

I checked both sites for blood and couldn't find anything. I was beginning to worry that I had missed both of them so I started into the thicket and low and behold, I found both deer within 15 feet of each other. Any closer and it would have looked like the deer version of Romeo and Juliet. I'll never forget it.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Cool story Buck Commander... I've had 2 times with my bow where I've shot a deer and was so intent on watching where the deer I'd shot ran that I missed opportunities at the 2nd deer that stood there and froze trying to figure out what was going on...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Mine is the 1st day my son carried a gun while deer hunting.
He had hunted with me for 4 years prior to this day. I set him up in a stand about 200 yards away from me looking into a marsh. All was quiet for the 1st 1 1/2 hours. I looked out in the field & saw a deer coming from my right & it was angling towards my son. I called him on the radio & told him to get ready. The deer stood at about 20 yards to his left & I heard a shot & saw the snow fly & the deer didn't move. There was about a 30 second pause when I heard him eject his spent shell & then he shot again, the snow flew again & the deer walked about 20 yards & stopped.
I heard the 3rd shot & I couldn't see the deer any longer.
I waited a couple of minutes before I called him on the radio to ask what happened & he said I think I gut shot him! I slowly got out of my stand to go over by him, & when I got there he was shaking so hard he couldn't lower his stuff down to the ground. We got him out of the tree & found his 1st deer 30 yards into the trees. It was only a nubbin but it was as bog as a moose to him.
It will always be my favorite story till the day I die.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Just one of my many memorable hunts went down like this….
I proposed to my wife….she said YES. :D I immediately reminded her that I was still hunting in the morning. She was so ecstatic and wanted me to go, as it would give her an opportunity to spread the word with her family and friends.

Well, as luck would have it I shot one of the biggest bucks of my life, on state land to boot!!. A 235# behemoth , AKA “The Engagement Buck” as it is known in my family. I made a fantastic shot with my bow..the perfect heart shot.

What a great hunt and a great wife. I told her yesterday that I am going hunting in Alberta next year with my friend Bill…I didn’t get quite the same reaction. This one will cost me!! :roll:
Attachments
BIGBUCK7a.JPG
BIGBUCK7a.JPG (109.45 KiB) Viewed 825 times

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Now THAT is a good sign!!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....