Rifles in Ohio?

timberwolf.44

Re: Rifles in Ohio?

Postby timberwolf.44 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

there will be meetings this march 3rd. at 5 different locations in ohio on using rilfes that use pistol rounds, i can not wait, ill be there and im hoping it happens, i want to hunt with my timberwolf .44 mag.,.... http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8228 this is the link to all the info..... :D

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am

Though I would not take advantage of the new regulation if it passed, I would support the DNR's decision to do so. They were one of the first states to allow full inclusion of the crossbow during archery season and were quick to allow in-line and snap cap muzzleloaders. With all those changes the Ohio deer herd is in very good shape. It would not surprise me if they allow this new law. I do like the provision to change their minds if a major issue occurs.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

timberwolf.44

Postby timberwolf.44 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 am

i hope it does change, for me being a hunter in ohio for the last 23yrs. i have seen a lot on different things in the woods, some would think it never happened, like the time my nephew shot a deer at about 150 to 160 yards with a 12ga. shotgun slug, we were sitting in a tree stand and when he took the shot the deer dropped like a box of rocks, i looked at him and just said no way that just happened, we walked out to the deer and he was done, i guess with being in a stand and on a hill with the down slop had a lot to do with it but it happened, hunting with a .44 pistol is nice but with the .44 rifle would be better, its lighter then a shotgun and a lot more accurate then the pistol or shotgun, my timberwolf is really fun to shoot at the range and it bugs me to no end knowing i can use the pistol but not the rifle for hunting, if you do your research on the distance pistol v. rifle the rifle is really good up to 100yrds. , and for me thats plenty seeing i like very much to bring the deer to me and make sure i make a good shot, my nephew has learned to call and bring them in as well because i felt taking a chance like the shot he made that day was a poor choice, he has more pride in what he does now a days because there is no better feeling knowing you can trick a buck all the way up to you within 10 to 20 yrds and take a good shot vs. and chance shot that can leave a deer wounded and can be suffering.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Something that has always appealed to me, is a match rifle and pistol that can share ammo. I have never been able to justify the cost, since I can't use it here in Ohio. If this becomes reality, I may break down and and finally get them.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Kell: I actually just shot such a matched set of pistol and rifle the other weekend. I believe it was a Beretta (maybe Benelli, but I'm thinking Beretta), in .40 cal. The pistol and the rifle used the same ammo, down to the exact same clip... My ex-army cousin bought it because he thought it would be cool, (he also has one of the new SCARs), but I really liked the fact that you could load up a couple of clips, then shoot the rifle and the pistol without having to worry about loading the wrong ammo in the wrong clip and whatnot...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Deebz wrote:Kell: I actually just shot such a matched set of pistol and rifle the other weekend. I believe it was a Beretta (maybe Benelli, but I'm thinking Beretta), in .40 cal. The pistol and the rifle used the same ammo, down to the exact same clip... My ex-army cousin bought it because he thought it would be cool, (he also has one of the new SCARs), but I really liked the fact that you could load up a couple of clips, then shoot the rifle and the pistol without having to worry about loading the wrong ammo in the wrong clip and whatnot...

True enough, that is part of the appeal, but I will go a step further . I have been playing with a couple of ideas like a .judge .45/,410 and I haven't decided om a rifle. yet. But a bag of mixed ammo would be suitable for most anything needed. any .410 load up to 3"), any ,45cal round, giving range, knock-down, and versatility. I even found a company that make .410 Arial flares in red and green. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

danlap82288

Postby danlap82288 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:45 am

according to the rules, you can already use a rifle of any caliber to hunt alot of species, just not whitetails. But between my shotgun, muzzleloader, and my crossbow,,,i think i'm good already.

timberwolf.44

Postby timberwolf.44 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am

well i was at that meeting back in march and all i can say is every ranger i talked too was getting mad at me for just simple questions and they just can not justify why im allowed to hunt boar with my 8mm sniper rifle,30/30 rifle or my 25/35 winchester rifle but not deer, you can use ANY cal. rifle for boar, not deer, he also said that if they do allow pistol cart. rifles ill have to plug it like a shotgun to hold 3 rounds, i said why, he said because shotguns have to be pluged to hold only 3 rounds, i said why, he said people out there just keep shooting at deer even if they are out of range and that is reackless and unsafe, i said oh, but im allowed 6 rounds in my pistol and yet i can do the same with that yet i have to plug everthing else and that sir makes no dam sense.....

danlap82288

Postby danlap82288 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 pm

You can legally hunt small game with any caliber rifle in ohio, just not deer. I think thats odd!!!

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 pm

danlap82288 wrote:You can legally hunt small game with any caliber rifle in ohio, just not deer. I think thats odd!!!

Yeah, I could legally use a 30-06 on a rabbit, but not a deer! Stupid rule. I can hunt rabbits and squirrels, with the Savage .22/.410 both loaded, and take the shot that makes the most sense, but for deer, I better not have .22 ammo in the gun, on me, or even in my truck! Deer are a breed apart from anything else, and special rules apply.

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio