?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

?

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I live in Michigan and I was thinking today about the CWD and the baiting ban.. I was wondering does that ban apply to all feeding? Look at pens, they still feed the deer. And thats what caused this problem from the start. I know of a big game ranch that baits deer, can they still use it?  They may say its their livelyhood, but what about all the farmers? Was wondering what everyone though of that?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

RE: ?

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Deercamp, I dont know for sure but I would venture to guess that it is baiting wild deer in a hunting manner. Theyre trying to stop the spreading of it from one deer to another via a bait pile. It is kinda funny though because the sharpshooters they used here in WI used bait to lure the deer in to eradicate them. I truly feel sorry for you guys because when it happened here it was a panic and it messed up alot of things. Hopefully they handle it differently. Is Nugent doing or saying anything concerning this. I would imagine he would be pretty involved.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 am

Besides the baiting issue, the transport of deer to penned area's from out of state could have something to do with the spread of CWD.  How ironic the DNR can bait, but hunters can't practice the same methods, sounds like the way IL DNR does things. We hunters can't legaly bait or use bows in the firearms season, but the DNR can bait , and use bows in firearms season on certain state DNR sites. [>:]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:14 am

Nothing from Ted yet...... At least I havent heard anything
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 am

"Look at pens, they still feed the deer. And thats what caused this problem from the start."

I don't understand this at all.  Of course the people who have deer in pens will still feed their deer.  Also, the only way this started the problem was if the deer were released or escaped their enclosure and had the disease to begin with.

Are you referring to the big game ranch feeding within an enclosure or outside the enclosure? If inside, it isn't baiting, it is supplemental feeding.  Many enclosures either aren't big enough / diverse enough to support the deer without some form of feeding.  If outside a fence, then they obviously should be abiding by the same rules as the rest of you.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Well looks like we agree on one thing Eatdeer, the transportation of penned deer has more to do with CWD and the spreading of CWD, than baiting. I think that the infected deer came in contact with a wild deer through the pen wire, not a bait pile.  I know you dont like baiting and thats fine, but I believe when CWD was found, almost immediatly the dnr said no baiting in that area and began to limit to only a specific amount of bait, in others. Also the bait has to be in a pile instead of spreading it out, which I think would further lessen the spread of CWD, than putting it in a pile.

I dont think banning baiting is the solution to the CWD problem because deer always when coming in contact with each other deer will smell each other touch noses, and groom each other. Most sick animals deer included do not go where the rest of the healthy herd is they always seperate themselves. So I dont think the healthy deer have to much to worry about at a bait pile as far as getting CWD.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:37 pm

my best advice would be to read the rule book very carefully and thoroughly

here in wisconsin according to the rule book scents are considered bait,yet in counties where baiting is banned scents are allowed(which makes no sense what so ever to me) 

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:48 am

He's still trying figure out how he's going to make a hunting show with out a bait pile.  I guess it's going to come down to woodsmanship Nuge.  Don't expect many new episodes next year.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

He's still trying figure out how he's going to make a hunting show with out a bait pile.  I guess it's going to come down to woodsmanship Nuge.  Don't expect many new episodes next year.

[:D][;)]

Next

Return to General Discussions