Muzzle Loader advice

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Lot to Learn

RE: Muzzle Loader advice

Postby Lot to Learn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:26 am

Do the Hornady SST's have the jacket or are they like the powerbelts built on? I am okay on accuracy, just literally cannot get a bullet down the bore without cleaning. When I say cleaning I mean running the cleaning patch down, not full blown cleaning.  I did pick up the bore butter but have not used it yet.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:16 pm

I shoot a T/C with the xpt 240 gr with 777 pellets and have no  problem shooting 5 rounds before i put a patch through it.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:55 pm

i clean my barrel with HOT water only. ill heat a pot of water to boiling then set it in the floor and plce the barrel breech end first into the pan and using a .45 cotton brush (and a glove or hotpad) runnig up and down the barrel as to draw the hot water in and out essentialy flushing the barrel clean. remove the barrel which will dry in a few minutes because of the heat. then ill coat another cotton brush with bore butter and run it through the barrel. the heat will melt the butter and thouroughly coat and "cure" the barrel. i lube my patches when shootin round balls or the bullets when using conicals.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:51 am

I am new to muzzleloading and have CVA Optima Elite Stainless on order. I have been doing a lot of research and have come across a new powder that has come out this year. It' called Blackhorn 209. It is supposed to be supper clean. They say you don't have to swap at all between shots and saw some tests where 25-30 shots were taken without cleaning. It is also supposed to have higher velocity than other brands per volumetric charge. It requires a hotter regular 209 shot shell primer, but those are cheaper. I have already bought some Shockey's Gold. If I am pleased with that I'll use it up, but after that or if I am not pleased I will definielty try the Blackhorn 209.

Here is their website: http://www.blackhorn209.com/home/

Here is a site that has multiple write up using Blackhorn 209:
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/HuntReport2.html
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SpecialReport2.html

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:44 am

Honestly
i can shoot my muzzleloader close to 8 or 9 times
im using triple seven the cakes or blockes and i use Hornady for rounds
try using those
they are an incredible round they shot accuratly and you should see what they do to a deer

good luck guys
aim straight

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:43 am

I also use a Thompson Center Encore
And my dad uses a Thompson Center Omega
we both love umm

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 am

I got my Optima Elite the other day. I didn't get the stainless cause D_I_C_K_'s messed my order up. I am going to the range on Sat. I hope to have some good results. The only thing I am disapointed with is the max loose powder load for CVA's is 100gr. I currently have Shockey's Gold, but I don't think the velocity will be up to where I want. I will use it for now, but definitely will switch to BH 209 later or if I'm not pleased with the Shockey's right off the bat.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:25 am

I shoot a TC Pro Hunter with 3 triple 7 pellets, and Barnes 250 Gr. muzzleloader MZ bullets.  No bore butter.  Clean with regular powder solvent (my preference is Shooter's Choice) instead of hot water as advised by TC.  This gun is an absolute tack driver.  I was in contact with Thompson in the past, and they said you absolutely do not want to use bore butter when you are using a bullet with the sabot (that is the plastic wad looking thing your bullet sits in when you seat it in the barrel).  The plastic forms a seal in order to allow pressure to build to obtain velocity, and bore butter reduces the ability for pressure to build.  They said you need to use bore butter when using a lead ball and patch, but not with a saboted bullet.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:48 am

In modern muzzleloaders you shouldn't use bore butter as a lube, but just for curing the barell and for storage. Curing with bore butter makes the barrel harder to foul so you can shoot more and swab less. You should run a dry patch before you shoot to remove any excess bore butter as it will contaminate the powder and it won't burn as well.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Check with the maker of your rifle......Knight told me, NO bore butter for any reason.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo