Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
BigIron

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby BigIron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 am

Funnys right. U say one thing and do another. Implying that I'm hunting a petting zoo and that I could be "kicked" out, implying that my deer have no escape is a poorly veiled attempt at lumping all hi fence ops. U said u wanted me to outline the pros and reasons for hi fences and when I do in later posts u either ignore or or ar incapable of comprehending. Then to top it off u compare hi fence ops to a jail cell. Funny's right. And that we hunt the only available cover and ffood source. The record shows I only attacked in self defense. I'm comfortable with that.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

pine valley

Postby pine valley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am

The funny thing is that no one was attacking you until you attacked us. We were expressing opinions on a video and for that you called us "Pathetic". I think we can all agree that what was shown in the video is wrong. High fence or no high fence, drugging and corralling the deer is wrong. I don't want to start an argument because that's not what the forum is for. All I'm saying is don't say you reacted in self defense when you brought it on yourself.
"The appointments can wait; that meeting can be rescheduled. So slow down, breathe deep. As the wind in the pines just reminded us, there's plenty of time." -Mossy Oak

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 am

High fences turn a natural resource into individual property. It is legal, and people have every right to do it, but I also have every right to be saddened that we can now take ownership of a whitetail and its genetics by fencing it in. I will continue to respect anyone's right to legally hunt the way they choose, but I expect those same people to respect my right to think it is not fair chase hunting. You want to take a fenced in deer, fine by me(I ain't mad), but don't get mad at me if I don't hold it in the same regard as a deer that can leave someone's property when it chooses.

Speaking of fair chase hunting, I also do not subscribe to the notion that we should all have some unified front on all hunting matters just to combat the antis. Some practices strengthen and/or rally the antis, and hunters calling out other hunters for those practices is not only needed, it is essential. I don't necessarily think that high fences fall under that umbrella, but don't tell me I need to support it just because of the antis. That reasoning doesn't hold water with me, and it never will.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm

pine valley wrote:The funny thing is that no one was attacking you until you attacked us. We were expressing opinions on a video and for that you called us "Pathetic". I think we can all agree that what was shown in the video is wrong. High fence or no high fence, drugging and corralling the deer is wrong. I don't want to start an argument because that's not what the forum is for. All I'm saying is don't say you reacted in self defense when you brought it on yourself.
I called the piece cannibalistic and pathetic. Did u produce and publish the piece?

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm

kellory wrote:
BigIron wrote:Wow. So that's it? You folks agree with the putz that put that piece of trash together and published it? So you agree that high fenced operations and breeding facilities are all that way? All because he found some that are the lowest common denominator?

Because that was his purpose. To paint all high fenced operations with the same brush. Now THAT'S pathetic. Canniballism run amok. I don't know anyone who drugs deer or "hunts" them in pens. And I know hundreds of breeders and high fenced operations.

BigIron, Don't try to lump me in any group. I expressed my own opinion of the clip I saw. That behavior was despicable. I do not believe it is the norm, anymore than poaching is the norm, or .spotlighting. What I saw was criminal, wiether the law agrees or not. How deer farmers grow their animals is us to them, but don't tell that was a "hunt". I appreciate an impressive deer, both buck and doe, for the meat, for the challenge, for the experience , and for the skills I hone as I pass them on to my son, and others, But, I hope I will never understand Antler Madness. To do so, might just destroy hunting for me entirely. For me. those bones on the wall are nothing more than reminders of the hunt, a marker along my path, or a book marker in my story. .I prefer my story be written with honor and sportsmanship, and dedication to craft, in the hopes that my son will write the next chapter. Even if this "hunt" were free of charge, I would not do as these men did. That is my choice, you are free to make your own. That is the beauty of having so many ways to hunt, if one method fails to satisfy, try another. You are welcome to this method, if you care for it, but it leaves me cold. I will take a different path. For me, the journey matters more than the postcards gathered along the way. :|

No BigIron, you did not. You lumped us all together with the putz. You then compared it with the "guns of Autumn" hit piece, swapped insults with Slots, gloated, took a cheap shot at Slots, Complained about guys filling their freezers (the primary reason to hunt since the dawn of time has been to feed people), claimed you must fence in self defense, complained about having only one shot (how many do you need? I only get one.) I made a small jest about hunting in a petting zoo. A jest I have made before on this site :| (you missed the humor) decided it was some veiled comment. You then accused Slots of hunting the only cover and using bait (forbidden where he is) You claim you can't pattern deer where you are, (though I would say the deer are patterning you. That would be why they are getting harder to find.) You then got personal with Slots. You then inferred I was full of crap. I explained the difference between hunting with a fence and without a fence, You declare I'm talking trash, You state I have the only source of cover and the only food source covered (completely false, in fact the reverse is true.) you then claim to attack in self defense( again false) extol my hypocrisy, my ignorance, and claim it is entertaining (mockery) then you get personal again, a couple of guys defend their right to their own opinion, I explain I may not know deer farming, but I do know fences, You then again misunderstand the same jest about "petting zoo" and decide it means you could be displaced on your own land (not sure how that would work) You then claim I am implying your deer have no escape (WTF?) Of course, that would be the reason for the FENCE! Then more personal comments, followed by "Then to top it off u compare hi fence ops to a jail cell." I don't quite see the problem with that. You take a free ranging animal and restrict it's movement to a much smaller area than it would wander naturally, I would call that prison, with no chance of parole, and an executioner when he gets around to it. It may be legal, it might even be necessary where you are, but it does not appeal to me. Our comments, up until you jumped in were directed at very poor examples of hunting that DID HAPPEN and WERE FILMED. You made the leap, that we believed this behavior to be the norm among high fence outfits. To the best of my knowledge, no one else made that leap. Now, as for that reading comprehension course, you might try your local college for evening or night classes. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

....and another thing to think about, how do the Pope and Young Club and the Boone and Crockett Club view high fenced hunts? I think it speaks for itself there. Like was stated earlier, if it's legal, it's legal...But I just hold people (hunters) in a different camp that take deer in a high fence situation. Doesn't mean they are bad people.....JMO!
QDM!

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 am

Ha! I can't address all the bs there on my phone. Will reply when at home. ;-)

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:38 am

BigIron wrote:Ha! I can't address all the bs there on my phone. Will reply when at home. ;-)

BS Heck. Read the posts. :geek:
Last edited by kellory on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am

Personally I don’t have a problem with high fences. Quite frankly, I’d like to see a few thousand more miles of them. But that’s just my opinion!

borderwallasinfrastruct.jpg
borderwallasinfrastruct.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 907 times

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 pm

That certainly gives high fence places a bad rap. 3 acre pen? Seriously?!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions