Need Some Bow Advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goosepond Monster

Need Some Bow Advice

Postby Goosepond Monster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:58 am

I am new to bow hunting and was hoping I could get some advice from the folks here.

I stopped in the local pro shop last night, because I was told that would be the best place to start. He has a used Mathews, Legacy I think and he said it was around five years old, that is right at my price range. His newer bows are a little out of my price range, but I might be able to swing a deal on one if I do a little horse trading. If I go that route I'd be looking at a PSE. My buddy knows a guy selling a Hoyt Katera that he is insistent upon me buying, because the Mathews is old and isn't a good bow anymore.

At this point I am partial to the Mathews. I pulled it back at the shop and it seemed to be the right draw length. It is 60-70 pounds, which is right where I want it.

Does anyone here have any experience with these bows? Would I be crazy to pick the Mathews over the Hoyt or should a guy start out his archery experience with a brand new bow?

pgchambers

Re: Need Some Bow Advice

Postby pgchambers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 am

He is not being straight with you about the Legacy. Mathews discontinued that bow in 2004, so it is at least 7 years old depending on when it was purchased. It may still be worth what he is asking, but just thought you should know it is older than 5 years. I would shoot it and see how it feels. If it feels good and you can get it in the $250 range, it is a decent bow. If you don't like the feel or he is asking much more than that, you might want to keep looking. The setup with accessories definitely affect the price, so if it is loaded with quality accessories it might be worth a bit more.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am

If you want to get into bowhunting, the most important thing about the bow you use is that it fits you. There are ALL KINDS of things that enter into whether or not a bow "fits" a person, you can look around on the forum and see the many threads dealing with this same topic. As far as old or new, the only real consideration there would be whether or not there is a lot of wear on the bow, and also make sure there is someone around who can work on it if need be (accessability of replacement parts should enter into this as well).

I hunted with a PSE I got when I was 14 up until I was in my 20's... Then I used my dad's bow that was at least 10 years old for a few seasons. I finally bought a "new" bow that was a 2005 model. I know one guy here on the forum has used his same bow for like 15 years or something... bottom line: You need to find a bow that you like, is comfortable to draw/hold/shoot, and that you can be accurate with. I'd suggest you shoot the various bows available, then choose the one that most matches your criteria for comfort and price.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum. All I can really tell you about bow selection is this. Age does not matter. What does matter is how well you shoot with it, what condition it is in, and does it meet your requirements. I have been shooting the same compound bow for more than 30 years. It is nothing special, but it does what I tell it to, and in the end that is all that matters. Just because something is old does not diminish it's worth. Have the bow checked out for flaws, shoot it. then decide if it is worth it to you or not.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Kell: 30 years!! You are who I was talking about... I was way off with 15...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Deebz wrote:Kell: 30 years!! You are who I was talking about... I was way off with 15...

It was a gift on my 16th birthday. I am 48 now. That's 32 years ;) if truth be told.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 am

that is awesome... my old bow is hanging in my dad's garage... I'd be afraid to shoot it now for fear the string would break. I keep thinking I'll clean it up and set it up for bowfishing... I've never tried it but it looks like a ton of fun

Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for all of the advice. I just want something that will drop a deer. I'm not one that has to have the latest and greatest. I plan on seeing if he will let me shoot the Mathews, but just holding it and pulling it back, I really liked the bow.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

Deebz wrote:that is awesome... my old bow is hanging in my dad's garage... I'd be afraid to shoot it now for fear the string would break. I keep thinking I'll clean it up and set it up for bowfishing... I've never tried it but it looks like a ton of fun

Been there done that. Catch and release is a little hard on the fish.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Garden fertilizer... there's a few ponds and creeks by my parents with TONS of carp

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting