Need Some Bow Advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
kellory

Re: Need Some Bow Advice

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Deebz wrote:Garden fertilizer... there's a few ponds and creeks by my parents with TONS of carp

I have a neighbor who eats them. It can be quite fun. The real trick is to gauge the right amount of refraction, because the fish is not where you see it! :) Polarized sunglasses help see through the surface glare. If your bow has a stabilizer mount, you can mount a reel in it place.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 am

Yeah, every time I walk through the sporting good aisle at Big R or Farm & Fleet I end up debating with myself whether or not to break down and buy one of those starter kits with the spool and the 2 arrows and such. I've heard that carp can be good if you know how to fillet them properly. I also heard that they're good if you smoke them. I don't know how to fillet them any different than a regular fish, and I don't have a smoker, but I know they turn into great tomatoes and peppers when I bury them in my garden. You just gotta get them deep enough so they don't stink...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:55 am

"Just because something is old does not diminish it's worth. Have the bow checked out for flaws, shoot it. then decide if it is worth it to you or not."

Depends on what you mean by worth. In terms of dollars, an eight year old Mathews is not worth as much as a five year old Mathews. If the guy is selling it at the price of a five year old Mathews, I would say try and find a real five year old Mathews for the same price and shoot them both. If you like them both, the newer bow is the better deal and likely has three less years use on it. Not saying the newer bow is better, but with all the used bows out there, there is no reason to overpay for the older bow. Or find the same older bow for less money. Lord knows the saved money will be used. Arrows, broadheads, release ...
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. I decided to go ahead and buy something new. I went with this one...

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2012_PSE_S ... _money.htm

I think it will be a good fit and I'll be able to hunt with it for a few years.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:08 pm

looks like an excellent choice. That should do very well for you. Enjoy! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 pm

kellory wrote:looks like an excellent choice. That should do very well for you. Enjoy! ;)

Thanks. I figure it will drop a deer. I just have to figure out how to shoot it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Goosepond Monster wrote:
kellory wrote:looks like an excellent choice. That should do very well for you. Enjoy! ;)

Thanks. I figure it will drop a deer. I just have to figure out how to shoot it.

you hold it by the stick part, and the arrows go pointy end away from you! ;)

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 am

The mathews is still a good bow. I shoot a Hoyt and love mine and it is 5 years old. My team member Kevin bought a PSE 2 years ago and has double-lunged 3 deer with it already and he is also new to bow hunting or deer hunting in general for that matter. So all three bows will suit you well. You do not need the highest priced bows especially when first starting out to kill deer. Deer do not care about the price tag. I would suggest you shoot all three, heck shoot every bow in his shop and go with the one that feels the most comfortable. That is what I did. Good luck! :D

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting