Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
User avatar
kellory
 
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby kellory » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

"Or kept in enclosures and reduced to possesion" I can see where this MIGHT mean if you can catch, you can keep it. And fair chase is a phrase, I don't believe. I have ever used in discussion. I am the predator, and I. Work at it to be a good one, but the game I hunt must have all it's natural abilities, or it loses challenge, and sport. It cheapens me. It is worth less to me. A tethered goat is not a prize a penned hog is not a prize,a one year doe at the top of her game, is worthy of my attentions. It is her skills against mine, and if she is cagey enough, she will escape me. If not, I will claim her. But a penned deer is under sentence of death, sooner or later. Enough hunters, spanning from fence to fence, could sweep the pen of life, in the time it takes to walk from end to. End. There is no escape possible, just postponement. Others may hunt this way, but I will not. Legal? No doubt. Appealing? No. Thank you for the infomation. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

BigIron
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby BigIron » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:53 pm

kellory wrote:
kellory wrote:
BigIron wrote:Wow. So that's it? You folks agree with the putz that put that piece of trash together and published it? So you agree that high fenced operations and breeding facilities are all that way? All because he found some that are the lowest common denominator?

Because that was his purpose. To paint all high fenced operations with the same brush. Now THAT'S pathetic. Canniballism run amok. I don't know anyone who drugs deer or "hunts" them in pens. And I know hundreds of breeders and high fenced operations.

BigIron, Don't try to lump me in any group. I expressed my own opinion of the clip I saw. That behavior was despicable. I do not believe it is the norm, anymore than poaching is the norm, or .spotlighting. What I saw was criminal, wiether the law agrees or not. How deer farmers grow their animals is us to them, but don't tell that was a "hunt". I appreciate an impressive deer, both buck and doe, for the meat, for the challenge, for the experience , and for the skills I hone as I pass them on to my son, and others, But, I hope I will never understand Antler Madness. To do so, might just destroy hunting for me entirely. For me. those bones on the wall are nothing more than reminders of the hunt, a marker along my path, or a book marker in my story. .I prefer my story be written with honor and sportsmanship, and dedication to craft, in the hopes that my son will write the next chapter. Even if this "hunt" were free of charge, I would not do as these men did. That is my choice, you are free to make your own. That is the beauty of having so many ways to hunt, if one method fails to satisfy, try another. You are welcome to this method, if you care for it, but it leaves me cold. I will take a different path. For me, the journey matters more than the postcards gathered along the way. :|

No BigIron, you did not. You lumped us all together with the putz.No I didn't lump anyone with the putz. I pointed out what the putz said and called folks out for not recognizing what he had done and calling a spade a spade He's the one that wrote the hit piece, that no one here cared to point out that it was a hit piece is quite different from authoring and publishing the hit piece. I'll include the quote of my post so you won't have to go back and look. You then compared it with the "guns of Autumn" hit piece,It most definitely is a hit piece VERY much like the Guns of Autumn. If you disagree I suggest you re-watch it to refresh your memory swapped insults with Slots, gloated, took a cheap shot at Slots, Can't argue there because no matter what I say you will believe MINE were cheap shots. Even though my chosen way of hunting was attacked first by Slots.Complained about guys filling their freezers (the primary reason to hunt since the dawn of time has been to feed people), I NEVER complained about folks filling their freezers (wrong again), I pointed out that it was a reason to protect the deer that roam off of your ranch through the gauntlet of freezer fillers (I in fact fill my freezers too and am not a hypocrite). Freezer filling is fine. But there is a limit to the resource and high fencing is the best way to protect my freezer from being empty.claimed you must fence in self defense, complained about having only one shot (how many do you need? I only get one.) I never complained about one shot. I just pointed out how silly you were by implying that my deer are somehow easy to kill. I killed the only stupid deer on my ranch. I made a small jest about hunting in a petting zoo. A jest I have made before on this site :| (you missed the humor) decided it was some veiled comment.Your stated views of high fenced operation certainly indicate that there was more than a jest there. But if you say so... :lol: You then accused Slots of hunting the only cover and using bait (forbidden where he is) I pointed out that MANY things can be viewed as bait. An apple tree, a corn field etc. I didn't accuse him of using illegal bait. I also pointed out that it could be even more "unfair" to hunt farming areas where there is very localized cover forcing more deer into a bedding area than I could ever concievably do on my 1200 acres of virgin brush country that is behind a high fence. Again, I'm right and you're funny :lol: :lol: You claim you can't pattern deer where you are, (though I would say the deer are patterning you. That would be why they are getting harder to find.) FINALLY!! You get to be right! Congrats!You then got personal with Slots. Sorry Kellroy, but when someone implys that I'm a bad or lazy hunter because of my chosen method I'm gonna respond in like kind. If you or Slot can't take the heat then don't turn on the burner. :o You then inferred I was full of crap.So... you didn't get the humor??? Are you saying that's the first time someone has noticed that??? Cause I've seen you say as much about yourself on here... lighten up old man! :lol: I explained the difference between hunting with a fence and without a fence, You declare I'm talking trash, You state I have the only source of cover and the only food source covered (completely false, in fact the reverse is true.) you then claim to attack in self defense( again false) extol my hypocrisy, my ignorance, and claim it is entertaining (mockery) then you get personal again, a couple of guys defend their right to their own opinion, I explain I may not know deer farming, but I do know fences, You then again misunderstand the same jest about "petting zoo" and decide it means you could be displaced on your own land (not sure how that would work) Uhhhh you were the one implying I could be displaced. I just agreed that with talk denigrating a form of hunting it can lead to ignorant laws. You then claim I am implying your deer have no escape (WTF?) Of course, that would be the reason for the FENCE! Again, my deer would escape you. They have all the escape area they need in 1200 acres of virging south Texas brush. Amazing that you can't comprehend that fact. But I give up. No way will you ever understand that fact. Then more personal comments, followed by "Then to top it off u compare hi fence ops to a jail cell." I don't quite see the problem with that. You take a free ranging animal and restrict it's movement to a much smaller area than it would wander naturally, I would call that prison, with no chance of parole, and an executioner when he gets around to it. It may be legal, it might even be necessary where you are, but it does not appeal to me.Again. There is no fixing that. Our comments, up until you jumped in were directed at very poor examples of hunting that DID HAPPEN and WERE FILMED. And were used to foment anger at a form of hunting. Very successfully I might add. I personally won't allow myself to be used against other hunters in that way.You made the leap, that we believed this behavior to be the norm among high fence outfits. Obviously some do not believe that and have come on here and stated such. And then there are some like you and Slots who affirm my suspicion. Thanks for the verification. To the best of my knowledge, no one else made that leap. Now, as for that reading comprehension course, you might try your local college for evening or night classes. :|
Great! Let me know how that course goes for ya!

And here's my initial post for your convenience. Note I was attacking the hit piece and pointing out what he was saying in it. And ASKING QUESTIONS!!!!! I did not say ANYONE supported him. I ASKED if you did, because all I saw was anger directed at a person and form of hunting, that in my view should have been directed at what was obviously putz who produced and published a biased hit piece. And I called what HE did pathetic. Publishing and producing the hit piece.

You just affirmed where you stood. And all I did was ask. :lol: ;)

"Wow. So that's it? You folks agree with the putz that put that piece of trash together and published it? So you agree that high fenced operations and breeding facilities are all that way? All because he found some that are the lowest common denominator?

Because that was his purpose. To paint all high fenced operations with the same brush. Now THAT'S pathetic. Canniballism run amok. I don't know anyone who drugs deer or "hunts" them in pens. And I know hundreds of breeders and high fenced operations."
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

User avatar
pgchambers
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Eau Claire, WI

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby pgchambers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 pm

"Perhaps we've found some common ground on the topic."

I don't think we were ever very far apart. I stated my reasons that I don't like the idea of fencing in whitetails, and I agree that it is based on emotion, but I don't look down on anyone that has a high fence ranch or hunts one. This is America, we are all free to choose within reason, and I am long past thinking my way is the only way.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

User avatar
kellory
 
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby kellory » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:11 pm

kellory wrote:
BigIron wrote:Wow. So that's it? You folks agree with the putz that put that piece of trash together and published it? So you agree that high fenced operations and breeding facilities are all that way? All because he found some that are the lowest common denominator?

Because that was his purpose. To paint all high fenced operations with the same brush. Now THAT'S pathetic. Canniballism run amok. I don't know anyone who drugs deer or "hunts" them in pens. And I know hundreds of breeders and high fenced operations.

BigIron, Don't try to lump me in any group. I expressed my own opinion of the clip I saw. That behavior was despicable. I do not believe it is the norm, anymore than poaching is the norm, or .spotlighting. What I saw was criminal, wiether the law agrees or not. How deer farmers grow their animals is us to them, but don't tell that was a "hunt". I appreciate an impressive deer, both buck and doe, for the meat, for the challenge, for the experience , and for the skills I hone as I pass them on to my son, and others, But, I hope I will never understand Antler Madness. To do so, might just destroy hunting for me entirely. For me. those bones on the wall are nothing more than reminders of the hunt, a marker along my path, or a book marker in my story. .I prefer my story be written with honor and sportsmanship, and dedication to craft, in the hopes that my son will write the next chapter. Even if this "hunt" were free of charge, I would not do as these men did. That is my choice, you are free to make your own. That is the beauty of having so many ways to hunt, if one method fails to satisfy, try another. You are welcome to this method, if you care for it, but it leaves me cold. I will take a different path. For me, the journey matters more than the postcards gathered along the way. :|

You then got personal with Slots. Sorry Kellroy, but when someone implys that I'm a bad or lazy hunter because of my chosen method I'm gonna respond in like kind. If you or Slot can't take the heat then don't turn on the burner. You then inferred I was full of crap.So... you didn't get the humor??? Are you saying that's the first time someone has noticed that??? Cause I've seen you say as much about yourself on here... lighten up old man! I explained the difference between hunting with a fence and without a fence, You declare I'm talking trash, You state I have the only source of cover and the only food source covered (completely false, in fact the reverse is true.) you then claim to attack in self defense( again false) extol my hypocrisy, my ignorance, and claim it is entertaining (mockery) then you get personal again, a couple of guys defend their right to their own opinion, I explain I may not know deer farming, but I do know fences, You then again misunderstand the same jest about "petting zoo" and decide it means you could be displaced on your own land (not sure how that would work) Uhhhh you were the one implying I could be displaced. I just agreed that with talk denigrating a form of hunting it can lead to ignorant laws. You then claim I am implying your deer have no escape (WTF?) Of course, that would be the reason for the FENCE! Again, my deer would escape you. They have all the escape area they need in 1200 acres of virging south Texas brush. Amazing that you can't comprehend that fact. But I give up. No way will you ever understand that fact. Then more personal comments, followed by "Then to top it off u compare hi fence ops to a jail cell." I don't quite see the problem with that. You take a free ranging animal and restrict it's movement to a much smaller area than it would wander naturally, I would call that prison, with no chance of parole, and an executioner when he gets around to it. It may be legal, it might even be necessary where you are, but it does not appeal to me.Again. There is no fixing that. Our comments, up until you jumped in were directed at very poor examples of hunting that DID HAPPEN and WERE FILMED. And were used to foment anger at a form of hunting. Very successfully I might add. I personally won't allow myself to be used against other hunters in that way.You made the leap, that we believed this behavior to be the norm among high fence outfits. Obviously some do not believe that and have come on here and stated such. And then there are some like you and Slots who affirm my suspicion. Thanks for the verification. To the best of my knowledge, no one else made that leap. Now, as for that reading comprehension course, you might try your local college for evening or night classes.
Great! Let me know how that course goes for ya! " I think my initial response to you covers How I see it. You are welcome to your method, but it is not for me. I don't care for the tone of Slots comment anymore than I care for the condescension in yours. "MY deer are too SMART for the likes of you! " type comments are irritating, and they are meant to be. as well as irrelevant, it's an animal. I will stalk it and kill it, but not in a cage, There is no humor or joy in that for me, just death.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

BigIron
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby BigIron » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Good to see you backed off all your bogus accusations. It always pays to read and understand before posting. ;)
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

User avatar
kellory
 
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby kellory » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:17 am

BigIron, the post you delineated, was a synopsis of the previous posts (with a few small notes added. There is nothing to back off of. It was done. Just like the hunting in a small pen was done. and the propping up of a nearly dead deer to make it a "trophy" was done. You object to the way it was presented. I am disgusted it happened at all. And I understand it is not the normal procedure, as I stated early on in this conversation. I am also aware you have been trying to rile me. I'm just not willing to play. I hunt deer in their world, on their terms. My goal is to be overlooked by them as they go about their lives unaware I am there. You warp their world to suit yourself, I play the hand I was dealt to the best of my ability, You have an ace up your sleeve. That ace is the fact they can't leave. You will always have another shot at that deer that spooks, even if it gains a little knowledge. You will always have the upper hand, because of it. even if they become a bit harder to find, they are still there to be found. I spook a deer, it flees and may take several more with it. You spook a deer, it gets tired of running in circles. That to me is an unfair advantage. You do as you like, I will not hunt in a cage..
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

thehc
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby thehc » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 am

Why would anyone defend high fences unless they (A) owned one or (B) kill in one? It only benefits the few and makes all the rest of us look bad. In Michigan, it is responsible for bring in CWD, possibly tuberculous, and is at least partly responsible for our feral swine problem. It ruins their neighbors hunting by disrupting natural deer movement and is a black eye for the hunting community as a whole.Simply put..it isn't ethical and reeks of shooting animals in a cage. I have no idea why anyone would feel pride in shooting an animal that can not leave a confined area.

User avatar
buckhunter21
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 pm

thought i'd bump this one up for more discussion since we're just starting the deer seasons for 2012. :o
QDM!

User avatar
Woods Walker
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Northern Illinois

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:19 pm

bucky! You're back! And just WHERE in the hell have you been?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

User avatar
Jslotter
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby Jslotter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for bumping :roll: :roll: , we had a good balance going ya know, without the stupid drama. :D
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


cron