Buying a new bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goose

RE: Buying a new bow

Postby Goose » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:35 am

I just helped a friend get a mid price bow so I did some reading on them. My take : He ended up getting the Mission Journey made by Mathews. Very nice bow, quiet,good brace height, and rated at 318 fps. I aslo looked at the reflex by hoyt and the fred bear truth 2. i think the mission is the best for the price $525 . The bear is nice but its more pricey, the reflex has a shorter brace height which is less forgiving on the shot. If I remember they all weighed pretty much the same. The reflex is a split limb and the mission is a solid limb. There is no proof of one being better than the other. The mission in my opinion comes with a better string and it has a lifetime warranty. I shoot a mathews so I may be partial to the mission but I honestly think its a great shooter for the price and it will last you.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:22 am

Try out as many different makes and models of bows as you can literally get your hands on. You`ll find a bow that "likes you".

Also, go to your local archery pro shop, and not Gander Mountain, or any other of the big guys. Patronize your local little guy. He`ll have bows on the rack thqat are brand new, but only a model year or 2 or 3 old. You`ll get a great price on the older bow, and it`s new.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:42 am

I feel that for the money, Martin makes some of the best shooting bows around.  I have a Bengal and absolutely love it.  I suggest you shoot one before you decide.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:25 pm

I didnt realize mathews made mission bows. Is mission supposed to be there entry level lineup?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Mission is basically the same bow as a mathews other than no roller gaurd and harmonic dampeners, a lot of bow for the buck... My buddy just bought one and loves it, moved up from his pse...

Also look at diamond archery by bowtech a lot of times they have package deals with rest quiver sight stabilizer bar very nice bows aswell... Gander mountain has package bows also most of them are made by bowtech also all good shooters..

But the best advise is shoot everybow you think you would like to buy and see what bow feels best to you dont get hung up on brand names... Also dont short change yourself either sometimes if you buy a cheaper bow thats exactaly what you get a cheaper bow... Dont just see how the bow shoots listen to how loud it is how much vibration there is hand shock etc. The higher priced bows are higher priced for a reason they are better shooting bows....

I am with you with not wanting to spend alot but take it from me I have owned many bows all of which shot nice, but I decieded to save my money and try a higher priced bow for me there was a difference and the price was worth it..

So shoot em all low end bows and high end bows, see which works for you, and really sit down and work the numbers. I had a buddy who bought a lower priced bow to save money only to buy the more expensive bow a year later so he spent twice as much as he needed to.

Hope this helps happy bow shopping...

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:40 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Mission is basically the same bow as a mathews other than no roller gaurd and harmonic dampeners, a lot of bow for the buck... My buddy just bought one and loves it, moved up from his pse...

Also look at diamond archery by bowtech a lot of times they have package deals with rest quiver sight stabilizer bar very nice bows aswell... Gander mountain has package bows also most of them are made by bowtech also all good shooters..

But the best advise is shoot everybow you think you would like to buy and see what bow feels best to you dont get hung up on brand names... Also dont short change yourself either sometimes if you buy a cheaper bow thats exactaly what you get a cheaper bow... Dont just see how the bow shoots listen to how loud it is how much vibration there is hand shock etc. The higher priced bows are higher priced for a reason they are better shooting bows....

I am with you with not wanting to spend alot but take it from me I have owned many bows all of which shot nice, but I decieded to save my money and try a higher priced bow for me there was a difference and the price was worth it..

So shoot em all low end bows and high end bows, see which works for you, and really sit down and work the numbers. I had a buddy who bought a lower priced bow to save money only to buy the more expensive bow a year later so he spent twice as much as he needed to.

Hope this helps happy bow shopping...

Just an observation, but your buddy hardly "moved up from his PSE" by getting a mathews. PSE makes very fine bows, and PSE likely accounts for more deer killed any season than all the other bow makes combined.

Again, just my observation.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:34 am

PSE is garbage they are very fast but the hand shock and noise out weighs the speed... I know you are not going to like hearing that but do yourself a favor and shoot the bows side by side and you will see the mathews is a far better bow....

bigbuckhughes

Postby bigbuckhughes » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:10 am

Am surprised at all of the response.  Thanks alot for the info!  I have two local "bow shops" nearby, so will check them out.  Frugal is my middle name.  And time is on my side as I won't worry about a new bow til the Spring.  My Darton will get me through another season this year.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 am

PSE used to be the bow. Not anymore! Image   Yes mission is Mathews budget bow or whatever you want to call it. Mission has several bows in the lineup. Buckmaster is one that has the roller guard,journey doesnt have the rollerguard, and I think there is another one that has a black riser or limbs dont remember. Great bows!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:20 pm

BBH, try em all, but make sure you try the Diamond Rock and Martin Bengal. They're really good bows and for $399 they're probably two of the best "deals" out there.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting