Proof Reading...A Dying Art!

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

Proof Reading...A Dying Art!

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 am

Proofreading is a dying art, wouldn't you say?

"Man Kills Self Before Shooting Wife and Daughter"

WOW! That took some effort!

"Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says"

No crap, really? Ya think?

"Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers"

Now that's taking things a bit far!

"Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over"

What a guy!

"Miners Refuse to Work after Death"

No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-so's!

"Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant "

See if that works any better than a fair trial!

"War Dims Hope for Peace"

I can see where it might have that effect!

"If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile"

Ya think?!

"Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures"

Who would have thought!

"Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide "

They may be on to something!

"Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges"

You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?

"Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charg"

He probably IS the battery charge!

"New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group"

Weren't they fat enough?!

"Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft"

That's what he gets for eating those beans!

"Kids Make Nutritious Snacks"

Do they taste like chicken?

"Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half "

Chainsaw Massacre all over again!

"Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors"

Boy, are they tall!

And the winner is......

"Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead"

Did I read that right?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

retiredsailor

Re: Proof Reading...A Dying Art!

Postby retiredsailor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice post....I did get a few chuckles from it. However, you have touched upon a pet peeve of mine, and that is the careless misspelling of words, the omission of needed words, or the use of incorrect words in most printed matter. More to the point, while I’ll admit that I might just be getting crotchety in my older years, it irks me that I continually find misspelled words and/or numerous other errors. that we used to refer to as “typos”. in nearly every issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine - usually, several such errors per each edition. Of course this isn’t limited to just that publication. Shucks, we find this in nearly everything that contains any sort of written word anymore. It may be a result of the hacking we do to the English language via this thing called “texting”. I’m guessing that in this age of digital everything, someone writes something, maybe does a quick spell check on it and it’s considered ready for publication. Spell check, of course, won’t generally alert you to an omitted word, or even the wrong word, if it is spelled correctly. I’ve even found such errors in advertisements in D&DH. I have briefly considered offering to proof read each edition of D&DH prior to it going to the printers or publisher..........say, in exchange for a free subscription.
Obviously, I'm just venting……but your post gave me an opportunity to weigh in. (Now I feel better)
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 pm

"Spell Check"....HA! Now there's a laugh and a half. I can't tell you how many times I've caught spell checkers that were either wrong, or they DIDN'T RECOGNIZE THE WORD I PUT IN!!!

That's probably because they are programed by "kids" who are products of the texting/computer age and who's spelling and grammar skills are deficient.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:14 am

Agree entirely. One note, my version of spell check doesn't
recognize the word "texting". Thought that was somewhat telling.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 am

???????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the irony! I can't bear it! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 am

I'm hearing you guys loud and clear on this one... As a teacher I am continuously amazed at the words that high school students can't spell. When it comes to grammar and punctuation it's even worse. I do text quite often, but I actually use proper grammar and punctuation when I text.

I guess I may be in the minority, but I feel like anything I take the time to write down becomes a reflection of me. I hate to look ignorant, especially by my own hand.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Keep teaching our children Deebz. Your work is most important.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

My daughter is a journalist for an agribusiness newsletter based in D.C. It's her first job. She is part of the texting generation, but maybe because of her educational discipline she absolutley HATES it when people use the text shorthand. I guess as a wordsmith that comes with the territory....or maybe she's just stubborn and ornery like.........HER MOTHER(no way would she have gotten that from me!) :mrgreen: ;)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 pm

retiredsailor wrote:Nice post....I did get a few chuckles from it. However, you have touched upon a pet peeve of mine, and that is the careless misspelling of words, the omission of needed words, or the use of incorrect words in most printed matter. More to the point, while I’ll admit that I might just be getting crotchety in my older years, it irks me that I continually find misspelled words and/or numerous other errors. that we used to refer to as “typos”. in nearly every issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine - usually, several such errors per each edition. Of course this isn’t limited to just that publication. Shucks, we find this in nearly everything that contains any sort of written word anymore. It may be a result of the hacking we do to the English language via this thing called “texting”. I’m guessing that in this age of digital everything, someone writes something, maybe does a quick spell check on it and it’s considered ready for publication. Spell check, of course, won’t generally alert you to an omitted word, or even the wrong word, if it is spelled correctly. I’ve even found such errors in advertisements in D&DH. I have briefly considered offering to proof read each edition of D&DH prior to it going to the printers or publisher..........say, in exchange for a free subscription.
Obviously, I'm just venting……but your post gave me an opportunity to weigh in. (Now I feel better)

I'm with you. 100%. I also hate menus and store signs that have errors.

Return to Off Topic