Summer Storage

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
MSHunter

Summer Storage

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone.
I'm looking for some hints on storing my coveralls, bibs and jackets until next fall/winter. I've purchased some scent free storage bags and scent free laundry soap. Does anyone have any additional tips or techniques they use when storing their gear that may be helpful?
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

bobow

Re: Summer Storage

Postby bobow » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Depending on whether or not the bags are airtight, you might consider airtight containers or tubs. I have some from Rubbermaid that seem to seal good.

Some will also put dirt or pine branches in with them that is indigenous to your area.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:32 am

Once they are clean, fully dry, and scent free, I will often add a couple of scent leafs in fresh earth scent. or add pine boughs to an airtight tub. This year I only added baking soda sprinkled in between layers. To keep them scent free. Baking Soda absorbs odors in your fridge and from your hunting clothes. Run a search for baking soda and you will find it has a lot of cheap uses. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Bobow and Kellory,
Thanks a bunch. I have some airtight tubs to store my gear in as well. It was the baking soda/pine boughs info I was looking for. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the replies and the help.

Jim
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:13 pm

word of warning... make sure you use nice dry materials (the pine boughs, etc...) My brother one time stuck a few limbs that he'd trimmed from his tree stand in the tub with some of his lightweight camo. The moisture from whatever he'd put in was enough to allow some mold to grow all through the clothes and such.

Here's a thought... would it really be beneficial to put in some dirt/pine boughs AND baking soda? Those measures seem counter-productive to me.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Deebz wrote:word of warning... make sure you use nice dry materials (the pine boughs, etc...) My brother one time stuck a few limbs that he'd trimmed from his tree stand in the tub with some of his lightweight camo. The moisture from whatever he'd put in was enough to allow some mold to grow all through the clothes and such.

Here's a thought... would it really be beneficial to put in some dirt/pine boughs AND baking soda? Those measures seem counter-productive to me.

It's either - or Deebz, not both. depends on if you want it cover scented, or scent free. Most of the time I use fresh earth scent leaves. This year( because of the Vanilla Test), I wanted to be as scent free as I could be.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 am

right on... that's what I was thinking
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I washed mine and put them in vacuum bags with a cheap athletic tube sock filled with cedar shavings I got at the pet store. Will it help? Who knows, but I'll let ya know in late Sept...
Last edited by gatodoc on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckhuntr15

Postby buckhuntr15 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 am

gatodoc wrote:I washed mine and put them in vacuum bags the a cheap athletic tube sock filled with cedar shavings I got at the pet store. Will it help? Who knows, but I'll let ya know in late Sept...

It will help. Good suggestions, here
"Fun, Family, Friends!" I you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("lxtagle" in Turkey & Turkey Hunting)

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:24 pm

I keep my gear in storage totes too. Whenever I'm out hunting and find a dead standing cedar that's dried out, I go back on a Sunday and cut it down with a bow saw and bring it home to dry. I cut it into foot- long sections, split them lengthwise, and pack my hunting clothes in layers of cedar. I also put some in the storage bin with my boots. It helps.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Best Practices