How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:23 pm

I was taught how to do this when I was 16, and I have done all of my deer since, and many for my friends, who I have in turn taught. Over the years I have refined and modified it to my preferences. It's a great way to save A LOT of money, and you get YOUR meat cut just the way you prefer it, and you also know that it's clean and has been properly handled.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerCamp

RE: How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:38 pm

I do it all by myself. Its a lotta work and is time consuming but then again, if I didnt like doing it I wouldnt be hunting.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 pm

I would also add that for me, it's part of the hunt.

You also learn a tremendous amount about deer anatomy, bone structure and location when you "slice 'em and dice 'em" yourself.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:45 pm

I butcher anything we kill from deer to beef, allot of fun..Deer and elk are the easiest. We just now started buying all the real butcher equipment to make it easier, and by ned it is...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

I do it all by myself. Its a lotta work and is time consuming but then again, if I didnt like doing it I wouldnt be hunting.

Do you bone everything, or saw through?

I started out sawing, but eventually went to boning it all, even if I want a full hindquarter to roast. I'll bone it, and then tie the ham in a big roll when I cook it.

This post is making me hungry!!!!! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Always have done our own deer, i can remember before we could hunt all of us youngins would get the rib cages and cut out all the meat inbetween the ribs. We used to always take our scraps in to have it ground but two years ago we bought our own grinder so now we do it all. Theres normally two or three of us doing a deer and I would say its done in two to three hours all depends how much we are celebrating!!!!!!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:55 pm

We also butcher all of our deer. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it. Theres usually about 8-9 of us that help and get involved. It only takes us a few hours to cut it all up and then we grind our own also which is more time consuming. And it's not just the hunters that help. Our crew usually consists of me, my dad, my mom, grandpa, grandma, aunt, uncle, sister, and cousin. Lots of fun!
Kyle

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:02 pm

When I started hunting (at 13 years old)I had no one to show me anything, and that included butchering. My dad took my deer to the local locker and I continued that until a few years ago when a friend set up a shed just for butchering and had all the equipment needed. Even though it is work to get it done, when 4 guys are there helping with each others deer it is a good time.
The way the weather has been so far, I might be able to let a deer hang for a while this year. The past few have just been too warm.
Hey Woods, If the weather is good, how long will you let a deer hang?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:15 pm

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

When I started hunting (at 13 years old)I had no one to show me anything, and that included butchering. My dad took my deer to the local locker and I continued that until a few years ago when a friend set up a shed just for butchering and had all the equipment needed. Even though it is work to get it done, when 4 guys are there helping with each others deer it is a good time.
The way the weather has been so far, I might be able to let a deer hang for a while this year. The past few have just been too warm.
Hey Woods, If the weather is good, how long will you let a deer hang?

If it's cold enough, I will hang them unskinned for a minimum of 5 days, and even as long as 10 in some cases. I hang them in my barn, in a well ventilated place. Leaving the skin on prevents the meat from drying out and developing that "rind" of dried flesh that you must remove.

The only thing that I will remove after a couple of days are the tenderloins from inside the body cavity, as they will be too dried out if you leave them much longer and then you have to trim away too much of those succulent morsels!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:35 pm

I would like to try this but don't know the first thing about butchering. Any good suggestions on how to learn this? Very good way to save some money!

Next

Return to General Discussions