Doomsday Prepers

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
woodsalta

Doomsday Prepers

Postby woodsalta » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 am

Have any of you seen the show "Doomsday Prepers"?
I was wondering if any of you were caught up in this kind of activity in your lives?
If the "fit hits the shan" like they are preping for, what would you do?
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Ohio farms

Re: Doomsday Prepers

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am

I've watched parts of it occasionally. As for my involvement...no, to the extent that they take it is foolishness. I will keep a battery operated weather band radio and flashlight in the closet during tornado season and extra clothes and a candle in my truck during the winter, but that's about it. I'm much more involved with the here and now than worrying about the "end". If our water supply is contaminated and the neighbor's kids want some of my water, what am going to do....shoot em? I'll go down with the ship before I would get involved in such things.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 pm

I have not seen the show. But, when I lived in California, I had an earthquake stash, buried in the back yard. It had canned and dried foods, a shotgun (12ga.) ammo of mixed loads. solar and hand crank radio, solar panel to charge 12 vt batteries and a power inverter. clothing for all people in the house (vacuum packed. camping gear (enough for a normal camping trip, fishing gear. first aid kit and a wad of cash. enough to keep us in food water and shelter for a while if needed. buried in a locking PVC drum. Only I knew where it was buried. Every 2 or 3 years, I would open it up, swap out food, check conditions and reseal with fresh silicate gel packs. I also like the idea of a" trunk gun" that is there just in case of a wilderness breakdown, or escape convicts. I have seen both problems up close and personal. Lost a starter motor in the mountains of Flagstaff Arizona, in a blizzard no less, and had a prison break out west in the desert,, and were told by the highway Patrol to keep any guns loaded, and in easy reach, and do not stop for anyone, at any time, even if you were hit by another car. I also try to keep can goods and dried foods on hand in case of a short paycheck, or an unexpected expense. half gal. ice jugs in the freezer for coolers, can be drunk if needed (clean fresh water in clean jugs before freezing). Other than that, no. no escape routes, safe rooms, or dooms day kits. Just the Boy Scout's Motto....Be Prepared.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Screw the limit.jpg
Screw the limit.jpg (93.7 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Well I saw the show, and I think their a little paranoid! I think its a wast of time and money. So you live six months longer than every body else, what does that prove! I'll tell you what! Yall come over and I'll pull out a case of beer and fry up some back straps and fish! And we all go out with stile!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Never seen the show. I have my rifle and handgun with plenty of ammo, my bow, a couple good knives, Clothing for extreme weather, military training, and a will to survive. I dont even worry about the end of the world or prepare for it, but I think Im better off than most where I live. Like Hank said,"Country folks can survive".
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:08 pm

You're missing the shotgun and 4 wheel drive! :)

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:26 pm

....and......"good 'ol tomaters 'n homemade wine...."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Woodsie,
I'd treat that pond like a mandatory catch and release. :D

I've seen the highlights of that show. I'm with Ohio Farms as far as a small weather stash for tornados. Outside of that if it's my time to go, I'm going.

Return to Off Topic