shoot through blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
howhill1

shoot through blinds

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:01 am

ive got an ameristep brickhouse that ive used for gun hunting. i plan to use it for some archery hunts this year. what has been anyones experience with the shoot through windows? i plan to practice alot with em but what id like to know is will my practice blades (3 blade muzzies) go through with the same results?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Legnip

RE: shoot through blinds

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:32 am

I don't have any experience shooting through the windows. I would try before the big boy is standing in front of you to see how it will deflect the arrow. I think that it will. I would make sure that your blind is tied down though if it is windy. I have had my blow up and almost away on me. Good luck with it. The season is coming soon.
From those who much is given, much is expected

williewilson

Postby williewilson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:00 am

I have harvested Two Deer shooting thru the mesh.  Just make sure the velcro mesh is tight.  I was using a cut on contact two blade broadhead and had no problems.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:23 am

i hunt with the primos ground max blind. it has been a great blind for me, and i love the mesh windows. the only problem with them is sometimes they are diffcult to see long distences in them. i can see far with bincons or a rangefinder. As far as shooting arrows trhough them.. I have had very good luck shooting right through them. make sure they are on there tight. i shot a fixed blade and it was dead on. as far a a mechincal blade i do not know tho. i would asume the same tho.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:01 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

i hunt with the primos ground max blind. it has been a great blind for me, and i love the mesh windows. the only problem with them is sometimes they are diffcult to see long distences in them. i can see far with bincons or a rangefinder. As far as shooting arrows trhough them.. I have had very good luck shooting right through them. make sure they are on there tight. i shot a fixed blade and it was dead on. as far a a mechincal blade i do not know tho. i would asume the same tho.

You don`t want to shoot a mechanical thru the mesh. It will open from the pressure of going thru the screen, just the same as if it hit an animal.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:41 pm

I have an ameristep blind, I think it actually is the brickhouse, though I'm not positive. I actually have never shot my broad heads through the mesh, so I'm not particularly of help to you by replying to what you are specifically asking. I shot my turkey out of that blind this spring and just shot with the mesh down. Turkey's don't seem to be blind-shy, so that may not say alot. But I did have a lot of deer pass past my blind that did not get alarmed, though they did come check me out pretty close. I'm hesitant to try hunting and shooting through something like mesh, just one extra thing to mess up the shot should something not go right. Best of luck, I would guess it should work fine. My personal preference is to just take the mesh down, and I have never had an issue with deer seeing me in my blind. I have hunted out of various ground blinds the last 4 years in a marsh where there are no trees and have always had good luck with deer not spying me in the blind, despite having the mesh down.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 pm

i plan to practice extensivly through em this week. i know thers alot of guys out there usin em. i hve several quest about em that only tryin it out will answer for sure. thanks everyone for the input.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

wack

Postby wack » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:07 am

Just be extremely carefull practicing out of a blind. Other people may not see you shooting, and you may not see other people approaching your blind. I was nearly shot by my neighbor this way, walked right past his blind window while he was at full draw. I didn't know he was out shooting, he didn't hear or see me come around the corner. I guess that's why they call it a blind? lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:47 am

I practiced for a week shooting thru the mesh on a Double Bull Blind and didn't have a problem other than taking out a fiberglass rod.

What I do have trouble with is getting the range finder to work, even with the mesh tight.  Only once was I able to range something and that was a Yellow Jacket target at 20 yards.  I have tried trees closer and farther with no luck.

Any suggestions?  I am mapping out the area to hunt but it would be nice to be able to range thru the mesh.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:45 pm

You could cut a slot in window to range thru if you don't mind that.  What rangefinder do you have?  I wonder if mine will work from a blind.  Never gave that a thought.  Mine is a Bushnell Scout 1000.  It has a brush setting that may help. I wonder.....Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

Next

Return to Best Practices