shoot through blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
PrairieShadow

RE: shoot through blinds

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Dont know about your particular blind but double bulls says the mesh wont affect arrow flight out to 30yds but if you notice its effects at 30yds then wont there still be some affect at 20yds??
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:19 pm

ive ashot a few at 20 yrds and under (as this is the range ill have to shoot)and its AWESOME! flight isn't effected at all . and that was with practice blades so im sure that razor sharp blades will work even better.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:33 pm

You could cut a slot in window to range thru if you don't mind that. What rangefinder do you have? I wonder if mine will work from a blind. Never gave that a thought. Mine is a Bushnell Scout 1000. It has a brush setting that may help. I wonder.....Panman

I am using a Bushnell Yardage Pro Trophy Laser Rangefinder #202018.  I thought it had a brush feature when I bought it but nothing I can find states that.  Bad decision on my part.

I can lift the screen to range things while mapping but it would be nice to range thru the screen during bow season should a deer come across, just for spite.  It would be handy to range thru the screen during the firearm season however.

BruceBruce1959

Postby BruceBruce1959 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:17 am

This is only my personal opinion but when I think of shooting an arrow from the inside of a blind no matter who made it or
how it's been manufactured all I can think about are the safety issues.
I'm sorry but I'm strict on safety and shooting form the inside of a blind only raises red flags for me,  not to even mention
the "what if's" ? 
Why is it such a problem to just shoot thru an open window?  And then there's the issues of whether Mechanical broadheads will pass thru mesh... And for the record I think Mechanical = failure,  I say "Stick to Fixed and remain a safe hunter". 

"When you live off the land, Living is Good"

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:25 am

This is only my personal opinion but when I think of shooting an arrow from the inside of a blind no matter who made it or
how it's been manufactured all I can think about are the safety issues.
I'm sorry but I'm strict on safety and shooting form the inside of a blind only raises red flags for me, not to even mention
the "what if's" ?
Why is it such a problem to just shoot thru an open window? And then there's the issues of whether Mechanical broadheads will pass thru mesh... And for the record I think Mechanical = failure, I say "Stick to Fixed and remain a safe hunter".

The reason for shooting thru the mesh is a concealment issue.  All I have been told is deer are very perceptive to the "black hole" the window creates without the mesh.

I'm not sure what the concerns are with safety.  I have a great field of view in any direction when needed and the normal shooting side offers an excellent field of view.

I want to be as safe as possible.  What concerns do you have?  I want to make sure I cover all the bases.

BruceBruce1959

Postby BruceBruce1959 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:48 am

My major concern is with safety. When your arrow passes thru the mesh don't you believe you've lost some accuracy on that shot? Has anyone explained to hunters that the angle a broadhead makes contact with the mesh could cause deflection or has anyone proven to you that that sort of thing can't happen? As for as the "BlackHole" issue,  Were you seeing deer while the black hole was present?   I was and still do.   
I don't buy into marketing schemes by manufacturers, I mean just because they say it doesn't mean it's that way. We have to remember, they are trying to sell us products they make profits on... Their intention is to sell us on their idea's and beliefs about their products.  Our job is to decide, Do we really need this new gadgetry OR is this really going to help my hunting abilities while still maintaining my safety and the safety of those around me.
"When you live off the land, Living is Good"

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:27 am

Has anyone explained to hunters that the angle a broadhead makes contact with the mesh could cause deflection or has anyone proven to you that that sort of thing can't happen? As for as the "BlackHole" issue, Were you seeing deer while the black hole was present? I was and still do.

IMO deflection is not an issue.  I have practiced out of the blind at many angles and I don't see any difference from shooting thru the mesh or not.  If there is a worry about deflection, how about hitting a branch or tall stiff weeds?  To me, if you have a clear shot, then it is not a problem.

As far as the black hole is concerned, I can not say one way or the other.  But anything that can help conceal any movement would be helpful, again, IMO.

If you are not comfortable shooting thru the thin mesh, then by all means, don't do it.  I just think deflection is a non-issue.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:45 am

I will never be convinced that shooting through something, is not going to affect the arrows trajectory or create drag. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Brow Tine

Postby Brow Tine » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:24 am

Hi first time poster...I shot throught the mesh at doe this past weekend and missed the deer.  Either I was shaking too bad.d.d.d..or it was the mesh..i think i was shaking.g.g. too bad...But with that said right after that I pulled the mesh down and prolly wont go with the mesh up throught my shooting lane areas.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: Brow Tine

Hi first time poster...I shot throught the mesh at doe this past weekend and missed the deer.  Either I was shaking too bad.d.d.d..or it was the mesh..i think i was shaking.g.g. too bad...But with that said right after that I pulled the mesh down and prolly wont go with the mesh up throught my shooting lane areas.

Hey Brow Tine, welcome aboard! Good to have you with us.

Question for you.....did you practice at all before hunting, by shooting thru the mesh in a non-hunting situation?

I`m asking because, although I have the shoot thru mesh windows too, I`ve never shot thru them to see if/how it mkight affect the shot. I would guess though, that the degree the shot might be affected, if at all, would depend a lot on whether the shot was thraight thru the mesh, or if at a hard angle to it.

As to oHunters contention that shooting thru the mesh would have to affect the arrows flight, or create drag, I would think a whisker biscuit would affect arrow flight a whole lot more than shooting thru that flimsy mesh.

Just my thoughts on it.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices