Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
GTOHunter

RE: Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:27 pm

I have walked to my stand in the dark several times and had several turkeys fly off their roost.....all that noisy/flapping in the pitch dark would pretty well scare the crapola out of anyone especially me! [&:]

I've stepped off my ladder stand in the dark and just about landed on a skunk...that scared me a made me nervous! [:@]

I've walked back home many times in the dark by myself...made it home safe and sound each time,got spooked several times when something crashed through the woods or a Bobcat came running past me but it won't keep me from going out again....now when my neighbor saw a Cougar/Mountain Lion on their property about 200 yards from our Farm it makes me VERY nervous to think about that noise in the woods or if something is hunting me on my way back home in the dark!Its human nature to be scared...some people thrive on it and love the thrill and adrenaline rush.....as for me,if you jump out and scare me I've already drawed back and swung at you as hard as I possibly can! [:D] [;)] 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:05 pm

I dunno, maybe it's because I've been walking in the woods for close to 5 decades now, but as thrilling as the "lions and tigers and bears..OH MY!", can be, I get REALLY scared when I have to walk to my parked car late at night on one of the rare occasions when I get dragged into the city. When I'm in the woods, I'm armed. When I'm in the city, I have been disarmed by the Democrats, so only the bad guys are armed.

Now THAT'S scarey!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ChewyTKE609

Postby ChewyTKE609 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:23 pm

I get creeped out walking to my stand in the morning.  But it's not from being in the woods in the dark.  I'm more afraid of those idiots you hear shooting 20 minutes before legal shooting time.  Orange can be hard to see in the wee hours of the morning and I'm always wondering if there's somone out there figuring me for a deer.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:24 am

ORIGINAL: ChewyTKE609

I get creeped out walking to my stand in the morning.  But it's not from being in the woods in the dark.  I'm more afraid of those idiots you hear shooting 20 minutes before legal shooting time.  Orange can be hard to see in the wee hours of the morning and I'm always wondering if there's somone out there figuring me for a deer.

I agree...THAT is scarey!!!! 
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:10 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]I dunno, maybe it's because I've been walking in the woods for close to 5 decades now, but as thrilling as the "lions and tigers and bears..OH MY!", can be, I get REALLY scared when I have to walk to my parked car late at night on one of the rare occasions when I get dragged into the city. When I'm in the woods, I'm armed. When I'm in the city, I have been disarmed by the Democrats, so only the bad guys are armed.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Now THAT'S scarey!!!![/size]

Hey Woods--- Me too I get jumpy as all get out once I cross those city limits signs.  Gun or not Pappaw taught us everythings a weapon if you need it!  In my misspent youth I worked construction just outside of  New Orleans in Kenner La.  Our job site was a favorite place for junkies to lay up over night and if you were the first one there in the a.m. you had to walk lightly.  We were all just out of high school and working on our own for the first time but after one of ours got put in the hospital we adapted a bit.  A 22oz eastwing framing hammer to the bridge of the nose will make for the most peaceful democrat (or republican for that matter) you ever saw,  then lockem in a bulk jobsite container till about 10 a.m. in a south LA summer and after a week or two the junkies go else where to sleep.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I have walked to my stand in the dark several times and had several turkeys fly off their roost.....all that noisy/flapping in the pitch dark would pretty well scare the crapola out of anyone especially me! [&:]

I've stepped off my ladder stand in the dark and just about landed on a skunk...that scared me a made me nervous! [:@]

I've walked back home many times in the dark by myself...made it home safe and sound each time,got spooked several times when something crashed through the woods or a Bobcat came running past me but it won't keep me from going out again....now when my neighbor saw a Cougar/Mountain Lion on their property about 200 yards from our Farm it makes me VERY nervous to think about that noise in the woods or if something is hunting me on my way back home in the dark!Its human nature to be scared...some people thrive on it and love the thrill and adrenaline rush.....as for me,if you jump out and scare me I've already drawed back and swung at you as hard as I possibly can! [:D] [;)] 

Don't worry about the cougar you will never hear it coming anyway..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

jackman

Postby jackman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 am

Getting spooked every now and then, keeps the blood pumping. Its just part of the hunt, I do some bear hunting and i get spooked. It just adds to the adventure.

Jack.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:29 pm

ORIGINAL: gutpile

Don't worry about the cougar you will never hear it coming anyway..

Thats why I like having a climber strapped to my back walking in and out.
If it shields my neck, kewl.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:26 am

I carry a sidearm when in cougar country...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks Gutpile...I feel much safer now! [&:] [:(] [8|]

Like most stated...I'd rather be out in the woods hunting than say,broke down late at night in the middle of some City!This post reminds me of the song by Hank Williams Jr......"A Country Boy can Survive"! [:D] 

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions