how many of us

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Lot to Learn

RE: how many of us

Postby Lot to Learn » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:24 am

Just reading online a 41 year old man from Hardin, IL died last night setting up a tree stand. Not many details to the story, www.thetelegraph.com.  I mention this only to point out how serious this issue actually is.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:44 pm

well where i am in PA the closest hospital is 30-40 minutes away and my camp is not easily found, it is on a right of way with only one nieghbor within ear shoot and cell phone service is spoty at best

If I were to fall form any distance or seriously get hurt i would be dead....the contingency plan is to not fall and to take every percaution possible..

I  wear a woodsman line around the tree...i could possibly slide down but hopefully i will catch myself or it catches on something

if the tree has lots of limbs then i have to disconnect from the tree i try not get attached asap 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:59 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

well where i am in PA the closest hospital is 30-40 minutes away and my camp is not easily found, it is on a right of way with only one nieghbor within ear shoot and cell phone service is spoty at best

If I were to fall form any distance or seriously get hurt i would be dead....the contingency plan is to not fall and to take every percaution possible..

I  wear a woodsman line around the tree...i could possibly slide down but hopefully i will catch myself or it catches on something

if the tree has lots of limbs then i have to disconnect from the tree i try not get attached asap 

There is a new unit, called SPOT. You can research it, but it`s basically a GPS unit that you can use to alert people to your situation and location from anywhere.

Neat device and not that expensive.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm

How does it work???? i have seen it advertised but don't know much about it..who does it alert ..is it a service..do you subcribe to it..it has a locatoer but how does your local hospital of police get the call out for help??????

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 pm

to add to the spot convo.almost all cell phones have a gps locator in them if you ever need help dial 911 and leave the phone on it will relay your gps #'s to the rescue personal 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 am

Worked for me...when neighbor nearly shot me out of my stand ...I was yelling and dialing 911 as I ducted...the operator had me pinpointed to with in a couple of hundred feet right away...........

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Can`t remember all the details exactly, but as I recall, the unit cost`s around $160, then there is a fee but it`s very nominal.

You program in the people you want to be notifed in the event you have an emergency and need to signal for help.

Tjere`s also a feature that allows people you`ve given acces, to track your movement.

A really neat unit I think.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:46 pm

does it work even if you don'r have cell phone serivce???

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:23 pm

From what I seen the GPS "Spot" system works without having to have a Cell phone or cell phone service,but you will be paying a monthly fee for the service/connection for the GPS system to a Satelite so it will be similar to having cell phone service! [&:] [;)]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 am

I know I harp on this a lot (and rarely get a response) but someone has to say it! We cannot spend our way around a reasonable level of fitness. That is not to say that a hunter who cannot muscle themselves up after a fall should not be hunting from a tree, but they should be very careful (ladder stands w/ railings) and they should work to improve their strength

Amen JPH, I really like that your harping on this.  I consider myself fairly fortunate to be in a relatively good state of fitness considering I'm 43.  Not that i think 43 is old or anything but you definately feel the aches more.  Ironically when I first started using my climbing stand that was one of the very things I wondered..can i pull myself back up in my stand if I fell out.  So I tried it, with the stand hanging much lower, and although it was awakward I did it.  But I'll be honest, if you cannot do a single pull up with relative ease your going to have a difficult time making it happen.

Not to preach, but pullups are one of the single best exercises you can do to develop upper body strength.  Make it a goal of yours this hunting to season to be able to do at least 3 of them from a chin-up bar before the 2008 season is out!  You'll be glad you did!

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands