Deer Czar Recommendations?

retch sweeny

Re: Deer Czar Recommendations?

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:50 pm

There are no recommendations at this point and wont be for a few months. We can speculate but it would be better to attend his meetings or email him with some winner of an idea that perhaps he has not heard yet. I have given him a boat load of ideas and I'm sure others have as well. He will have to balance the social science with the biology of deer management.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't think we're lacking all that much on the deer management side of things. A few teaks here and there, some tweaks to habitat management, etc. I think it's about a 25/75 deer management to social science problem. But that's my opinion.

I think the biggest problem is that you have 2 or 3 distinct groups of hunters, none of which can get along with the other because, much like the rest of the world around them, they realize that the more they kick, scream and generally make asses of themselves, they get what they want because the others just don't want to deal with them any longer. It's sad that it's the way that it works, but that's how it works.

If the good Dr. can find a way to fix this, he should probably run for President.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:34 am

I agree in a way but I don’t think those groups were invited to the table when the good Dr. held meetings with hunting orgs and he has been made aware of the groups you describe during those meetings with the legitimate hunting orgs. The groups you describe were on the outside looking in and don’t seem to have any input in the process. (thank Gawd) The Good Dr. has been seeking input from everybody he can. He has repeatedly come back to the states hunting orgs for input in an effort to turn this thing around. Thus far, I am impressed with how much effort he has put into this.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Retch - I read the report. Been waiting for an applogy. Seems like you got bs'ed not me. My source was pretty close.

I can tell you like the Deer Czar, this report gained a big respect from me and Walker to have the vision to do this.

Now - this is useless unless we make serious change, fast.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm

bullwinkle wrote:Retch - I read the report. Been waiting for an applogy. Seems like you got bs'ed not me. My source was pretty close.

Not even close. First off, watch this video. After he and I shared a few emails discussing your B.S. , he speaks directly to you Bullwinkle. Pay attention to where he again talks about the rumor you started about recommendations and how none exist at this point. :lol:

http://www.drdeer.com/

But anyway, you seem to think an apology is in order. That’s funny but lets talk about that. You said:

“Ok, I heard some scoop from some close to the Deer Czar. Susposedly some of his recommendation are going to be:”

OK, lets stop right there. This is a preliminary report (problem statement) There were no recommendations in this preliminary report. I’m surprised this is so hard for some to come to terms with. This means any and all of the “Recommendations” you want to think you predicted have not happened. Now, lets continue, shall we? You said

“1. Start over the the deer estimating system. He is very critical to the DNR processes and their understanding the size of the deer herd.”

Yes, he has been saying that for a while and even before the report. Look at his web site and the video interviews. He talks critical of SAK every time. I and others have been saying it for years so is that really some sort of inside info? Next you said:

“2. Start over with the registration system - I love this one personnally, hope it is true”

He does not say to start over with the registration system anywhere in the report. He said it should be modernized, not start over. Next you said:

“3. Start over with the rules book. He said there are too many bolt on rules and in collection it is a mess and needs a complete overhaul.”

Can you show me that in the prelim report?? This next one I love most of all. You said:

“4. He is not impressed with some of the DNR staff - rumor is there will be blood at end of this”

Where is the blood? You want to claim some insight and there is nothing at all to indicate anybody from the DNR will be fired, or bloody. Show me that in the report. Get real. THis was one of the best ways to tell you were pulling this all out of your arse. :lol: :lol: Then you said:

“5. Move the deer management to a county by county basis. Get rid of deer management units.”

I found this one funny. I invite you to show me anywhere in the report where that is even mentioned. So you want an apology huh? Well here goes. I am sorry that you blew this so bad and you have been exposed. I don’t think “I told you so” is a strong enough term to use here. Epic failure comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am

I used to come on this site and discuss deer hunting in Wisconsin. Some of the "old time" posters who've been here longer than I, talked and listened and discussed and had great conversations about food plots, deer hunts, land us, future hunting ... you name it.

Now, I rarely come on here, if for no other reason than I cannot stand the poison and vile spewed by ... well one person only, comes to mind.

You've hijacked a whole board, thanks to you egotistical, maniacal "holier-than-thou" B.S.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 am

umpiremark wrote:I used to come on this site and discuss deer hunting in Wisconsin. Some of the "old time" posters who've been here longer than I, talked and listened and discussed and had great conversations about food plots, deer hunts, land us, future hunting ... you name it.

Now, I rarely come on here, if for no other reason than I cannot stand the poison and vile spewed by ... well one person only, comes to mind.

You've hijacked a whole board, thanks to you egotistical, maniacal "holier-than-thou" B.S.

Don’t be too hard on Bullwinkle. I’m sure he means well but you will want to know that this site has whole areas dedicated to the things you mention. Since this is an area dedicated to WI issues, you should expect that something as important as Dr. Kroll’s work will come up. As will other matters directly effecting WI hunting laws and future. For food plots and “land us” (???) there is plenty of room. so dont live in fear of starting a thread. ;)

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:41 am

Retch - I don't know that he is talking about me alone - I am sure you are included

Let explain how reports like these are used. You obviously have no understanding of the process and why leaders ask for outside consultants. It is ammo for leader (like him or not Walker is a leader) to drive change.

The preliminary report leads to change in all the areas I cited except the county by county management. But reading between the lines he talks at great length about landowner involvement, not using the wildlife biologists within the county and DMAP programs. My guess, I don't know, he will recommend moving a county by county management of deer to line up with the county biologist in his final report. DMAP would be difficult to manage with our current DMU.

The blood - tell me you can't see this. He rips the SAK and deer estimating tools. All the inaccuracy and money spend and how the DNR digs and defends it. If you were a leader, what would you do, try to change the guys who made the system and keep defending it or change the people. The blood is coming. I can't believe you can't see this

The rules revamping is spread out through his report - just read through the lines.

I am still waiting for an apology.

wurzgj01

Postby wurzgj01 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:28 pm

When I was at the Deer and Turkey Expo this past Friday I stopped at the WI-DNR booth to ask the DNR staff about what they thought of Dr. Kroll’s (Deer Czar) recommendations. The response I received was... 'Dr. Kroll’s findings are nothing we (DNR) haven't heard before.' 'Dr. Kroll’s findings to us are nothing more than recommendations.’ ‘It’s business as usual.’

To me it appears the WI-DNR is not taking Dr. Kroll’s recommendation seriously.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Wurz - That is so disappointing but not surpriising. I dont remember the specific data but I was shocked at only implementing something like 43% of the past reveiw (Deer 2000, 2006 study, etc)recommendations. In the business world if you spent millions of dollars putting a study together and only implemented 43% you would not be employed long. We tax payers paid for this and they didnt even implement 50% of it. They also all got raises each year - just another example on why landowners need more license to manage their property, government cant do it.

Our only hope is Walker. He has the guts to drive change and lead. You have to be puckering if you work for the DNR in deer management. I dont know if you could have gotten a worse review. Remember these consultants are going to be very sensitive on the wording and positioning on all recommendations. I have been on the inside on things like this in my career, what is said is big time more passionate than what is written. Walker is getting the info and data he needs to make change. I was actually shocked on how forward the Dr Czar's was. I have to give him credit. He did it.

I think we as landowners and sportsmen need to somehow keep this alive and force our politicians to act. Politics is not a spectator sport - we have to get engaged.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin