Handgun hunting

Robert Rowland

Handgun hunting

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Any other handgun hunters out there?
My current deer hunting handgun in a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have not taken a deer with this particular gun, but have taken several with a Super Redhawk that I used to have.

Corey Graff

RE: Handgun hunting

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 am

I am an avid handgun hunter, shooting a S&W M629 .44 4-inch. Handloads are Keith-style leadhead bullets loaded hot. I've taken several deer using open sights and it puts deer down right now. This year I have mounted an aimpoint red-dot scope to the set-up. The holster is a safariland competition-style. I believe if more folks would try handgun hunting they would find it adds a new dimension and challenge to deer hunting.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:33 am

I fostered the idea of killing a deer with a handgun for sevearl years. I had killed deer with rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, and bow, so a handgun seemed to be the logical next step.

What I found (the hard way), was that I lack the skill necessary and I lack the time it would take to get there. I have given up on the idea for the time being. I have a lot of respect for those of you proficent enough to pull it off.

For me, discretion is the better part of valor. 

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:30 am

i have hunted the late season here in illinois for about 5 or 6 years. originally it was a pistol only season, i have carried a 4" .357 and a 7" redhawk in .454 casull. i agree with dan that it can add a new and challenging dimension to your deer hunting but i also agree with jph that as with any weapon you should make sure of your proficiency with it before heading to woods.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:54 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

...i also agree with jph that as with any weapon you should make sure of your proficiency with it before heading to woods.

In my case, I was very deadly on the range. I've got the paper to proove it.

When leaning over a deadfall or after sitting in a sub-freezing treestand for four hours...not so much.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 am

My step dad hunts with .357 , and has had some success.  I would like to try it, but like was stated earlier, I would need the time + money to spend many hours practicing.  Both are very limited.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:37 pm

as handgun shooting goes i was blessed to grow up with a shooting grandfather. i had two .22 pistols as a kid i would spend countless hours honing my skills. illinois now allows the use of handguns in the regular firearm seasons. i always liked being different, kinda why i took to bowhunting so much.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I have a 44 mag Super redHawk but I prefer the Contender 7-30 waters . Shot a doe at about 55 yards a few years ago . I don't shoot a pistol enough to be proficient with it . Getting the doe made my day !

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:06 pm

I used to have a stainless Super Redhawk, 9-1/2" barrell, scoped.
Great deer gun. Wish I had it back but it was just too awkward to carry along with a rifle so I sold it and got the Super Blackhawk that would hip holster.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:21 am

The only reason I have a Ruger 44 mag Super redhawk is because a guy at work was selling his for $350 (in 1998) with a 2X Leopold scope . He was buying a .454 Casul ( sp ) pistol and needed cash quick . I don't like shooting it !
I have a 14 inch 44 mag barrel for my Contender . It's the hunter barrel and is ported . I won't shoot it at the range if anyone is on either side of me .

Next

Return to Handguns