Wanted; Deer Processing Horror Stories!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jonny5buck

Re: Wanted; Deer Processing Horror Stories!

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 am

I dont have any bad experience with the meat locker i go to. I will say this the closest one to me is small and if you get ''deer sticks ''made plan on waiting 6WEEKS!! :shock: ..What?...i told em to forget the sticks and it was still a good 4 weeks to get the meat back ...i stopped going there...and the place i go to is further away but any deer i take is done in 2 weeks tops...sometimes a week..

I also was a little niave when i first took a deer there yrs ago...when my dad told me that you dont get your deer back .its all ground up together with everyone else deer i stopped going and process my own deer burger...steaks.and chops and roasts....

Now i may take in trimmings or one deer for sausage and sticks or jerky...otherwise i like being in control of MY deer and knowing i get my meat and i handle it.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for the welcom kellory! I too have an experience like the wanderer where I was called to my boss's house to teach him how to butcher a deer his friend had killed. It was a small six point but looked like a very old deer. The buck had been shot by a .308 three times! Apparently the first two were used to bring him down from behind and the last one to finish him off. But he put the final shot straight through both shoulders. His hams were nearly blown off! Now I usually hang the deer from its hind legs to skin it, but in this case I was afraid the deer would break in half during the process. So we had to hang it from its rack instead. The deer dressed out at about 130 lbs which is alright for a Virginia mountain deer but he got less than 30 lbs of meat from. Thankfully the backstraps were intact!

Schmidt

Postby Schmidt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks for sharing your stories, guys. It appears that we are gathering enough of them to include these in a feature article. But let's open it up even more ... if you don't have a horror story, perhaps you have a positive experience to share? How about some examples of how your butcher went out of his way to make your venison the best it could be? Thanks again for the great feedback!
Best,
Dan

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:33 pm

theresa_charr456 wrote:You are never alone there Dan. I had my fair share of story too.. :) We all learn the hard way.

Oh well, let's just forget that stories for now............ I found and joined a recent Chestnut Trees drawing. Thought you guys might be interested, so I'm sharing the info here. Hope this will interest you too.. https://www.facebook.com/RealtreeNursery/app_28134323652

Here's the other link I found too.. http://realtreenurseryland.webpublishpro.com/

Happy Hunting people!!!!! :D

THERESA ;)

This information has been posted on four different threads. Each one is slightly different, but all serve no purpose besides spreading the links to this contest. I believe this to be spam. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Schmidt

Postby Schmidt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks, Kellory!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:32 pm

agreed, I emailed Ben about it earlier today
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Previous

Return to General Discussions