Missed my Deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
anthonydooley4

Missed my Deer

Postby anthonydooley4 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:45 am

Ok so yesterday was my first time hunting ever.  I'm 22 yrs old and had always wanted to get into it. So i went out bought me a $400 bow a tree stand camo and all the works.  I had a day off from teh fire dept and decided to go.  I sat out all morning on my buddies property and went on my first hunt by my self. I've got a pretty decent shot on a target and been studying alot.  Got a bad case of buck fever.  I've watched alot of video and wondered why they get so excited and start breathing heavy and shaking when they see their deer.  At 1pm on the dot saw a deer.  My heart fell to my stomach and it was freaken HARD to get my breath.   So wait till she gets close enough and I draw back.  She is fallowed by 2 fawns.  I was waiting for her to stop so i could take a good shot.  She stops right behind this big tree 15 yards in front of me with her two fawns on each side of the tree. I was at full draw about a min and half and was getting tired so  I lean over to see if she's still there and she see's me move a little.  So i move back and she stays back there. She then jets off for a second and cirlces around and comes back. But shes stomping at me adn snorting but i dont think she new exactly where i was.  She walks back into shooting range about 25 yards away.  I draw back again line up my shot steady and release.  She jumps the string and about hits the ground and my arrow goes about 4-6 in right over her.  She turns and runs away.  The two fawns come back but no reason in taking them out.  Well i guess thats why they call it hunting.  But I consider the hunt a success.  I learned a little . I know there are deer back there now and most importantly i got my arrow back( i never thought i would find it ).  Cant wait for my next day off next week.  I'm going back 

Robert Rowland

RE: Missed my Deer

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

Sounds like you had a good time.  Hope you see more action next week.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:09 pm

What an amazing story-congratulations on all of it. You have a GREAT piece of property to hunt it sounds like. You`ve also done a great job of stand placement, practicing, everything.

And hey, tomorrow is another day.

I`d also congratulate you on not killing the fawn. Not that it necissarily would have been a "wrong" thing, but just from me to you, good call.

anthonydooley4

Postby anthonydooley4 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:12 pm

well the property is only 10 acres big.  I havnt seen but about an acre of it.  It's my buddies property and he showed me the spot and it was close to some acorn trees down in a ravine so i though it would be a good spot.  As to the fawns....they will be a bigger reward for me later.  Unfortunately they were the only 3 deer i saw for the day.  But i'm going back on tuesday.....seems like so long away

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Your story brings back memories.  Last year I missed the only deer I got to shoot at.  She was walking down a trail, would come broadside at about 20 yards, she walks behind an Cedar tree and stops just so her vitals are blocked.  I had to stay at full draw for what seemed like forever because she was looking right at me.  When she walked out, I lined up, and missed clean.  I think my arm was so tired that I let my elbow drop and put some twist in the bow, I don't know for sure, but love getting out in the woods every chance I get.  I was pulling 64 pounds at the time, and have backed my bow way down.  I have given up some feet per second but have gained much more control and ability to hold at full draw.  I was shooting so much at heavy pull, that I threw my back out of whack. Anyway, have a great season, and please keep us posted.
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

anthonydooley4

Postby anthonydooley4 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:10 pm

yea my pull is 60# i'm not sure what my fps are.  I got a short draw at 25in so i wonder how low it is..... but yea i had to be pulled back for a minute and a half.  I thought my shoulder was gonna come out of socket again.  (its happened before..Had surgery on it in highschool during wrestling)

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Hey Anthony,
Ahhh...the joys of hunting!  If it were me, I woudl have shot one of the fawns (especially if you could tell they were doe fawns).  The first deer ever with a bow should be the first one that walks by....in my humble opinion.

Keep us posted on your hunts!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

anthonydooley4

Postby anthonydooley4 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 pm

why do you say if especially they were doe fawns?  I'm guessing because then they wouldnt grow up to be big bucks?

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:21 am

I'm pretty sure that's what he means. If management is your goal, then be careful with the little guy's b/c sometimes those buttons are hard to see

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:29 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Hey Anthony,
If it were me, I woudl have shot one of the fawns (especially if you could tell they were doe fawns). 

Well, if killing a fawn would have made ya feel like a great hunter, whatever.

Reminds me of a Dirty Harry quote from Magnum Force. "A man`s gotta know his limitations."

Next

Return to General Discussions