Dead deer effecting deer movement?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

Dead deer effecting deer movement?

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 am

While hunting week before last I came upon a dead doe laying on our ridge trail.  It had probably been dead a week and a half or so, the body was mostly scavenged but there was still quite a bit of stink to it.  She died about 50 yards from one of our prime stands and maybe 75 yards from another, while I can't smell the deer from these stands animals with more sensitive noses surely must be able to. 

Any idea if her being dead in that location will effect deer movement in the area?  Camera surveys in the area indicate nothing much moving, but I'm not sure the dead doe is the reason.

Thanks

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

RE: Dead deer effecting deer movement?

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:11 am

I doubt it will have any effect at all. Animals lie dead and are scavenged all the time. I tend to think that deer simply accept this as part of the landscape.

Any idea how she died?

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:58 am

It could be that the deer have found another food source such as acorns, which is the case on the property I hunt.  Deer go where they can find the best food and tastest as well.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

While hunting week before last I came upon a dead doe laying on our ridge trail.  It had probably been dead a week and a half or so, the body was mostly scavenged but there was still quite a bit of stink to it.  She died about 50 yards from one of our prime stands and maybe 75 yards from another, while I can't smell the deer from these stands animals with more sensitive noses surely must be able to. 

Any idea if her being dead in that location will effect deer movement in the area?  Camera surveys in the area indicate nothing much moving, but I'm not sure the dead doe is the reason.

Thanks

I`ve gutted deer at the field edge, and killed deer at the same spot the very next day after the coyote`s had cleaned up most of the gut pile. It won`t run them off.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:39 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Thanks

I saw on a hunting show a couple months ago, where they set up a trail camera over a dead deer, several pictures of deer were taken it didn't seem that the dead deer bothered them at all.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:55 am

Here's a thought......

As seen by many of the repsonses here, it's obvious that dead animals don't spook deer. Some predators will roll in decaying flesh to mask their own scent from their prey.

Maybe we should try that! 

"ROADKILL.....THE ULTIMATE COVER SCENT"

You go first and let me know how it works........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:45 am

I don't think the dead deer have any affect on the deer movement ( other than the ones that are dead and cannot move ) .   Image

I don't think I will go out and purchase any of Woods Walker's "Road Kill Cover Scent " either !  Image

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:57 am

Hey now! It'd be a whole lot cheaper than a Scent-Lok suit!!!!

People wouldn't crowd you at shopping malls, sports events, and on subways either!

Brow Tine

Postby Brow Tine » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:57 am

I agree that the deer will not be effected by it.  I usually try to gut outside of the area so as not to bring coyotes any closer.

--Brow Tine

oneshot 1

Postby oneshot 1 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:13 am

Well don't know.

I was watching Dr.Kroll the other day and he found that Gut piles don't bother Deer.

But years ago we was having problem with Deer eating up our Orchard.The Conservation Department hung Road Killed Deer around,didn't work.They tried Cannon,didn't work.Then the only thing to do was kill all we could.

But we was seeing up to 80 Deer in a herd.

oneshot

Next

Return to General Discussions