IL Parks Shed Hunting - no?

bobow

IL Parks Shed Hunting - no?

Postby bobow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 am

I found this by accident while on the IL DNR website. I had no clue this was "illegal" to hunt sheds in State Parks:

COLLECTION OF SHED ANTLERS: Shed antlers may not be collected from any State Park, dedicated
Nature Preserve, or buffer area. Shed antlers collected from other areas are not considered “Salvage” and are
not required to be reported.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/PDF/Deer_Road_Kill.pdf
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

jonny5buck

Re: IL Parks Shed Hunting - no?

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 am

Bobow....2 parks in illinois do allow ''shed hunting''...one park we were given a verbal go ahead by park personnel...the other has signs posted that shed hunting is allowed in the park ,but only in certain areas....besides those 2 i believe you are spot on...

Preserves are a different story..no shroom hunting....no shed hunting...no taking a rock or tree branch...

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:20 pm

I guess I just don't understand the logic.

And if this is supposed to be state law, why in some & not others. I would be leery of "verbal" permission in this corrupt state. My luck I would get caught walking out with sheds by an overzealous CPO.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:26 pm

".........an overzealous CPO."

In Illinois??? Surely you jest! Not Illinois, where the CPO's mantra is "ALL hunters are violators. We just haven't caught them yet." :roll:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:43 am

Woods Walker wrote:".........an overzealous CPO."

In Illinois??? Surely you jest! Not Illinois, where the CPO's mantra is "ALL hunters are violators. We just haven't caught them yet." :roll:

I'm sorry, I must have been on drugs or something! :o

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 pm

bobow wrote:I guess I just don't understand the logic.

And if this is supposed to be state law, why in some & not others. I would be leery of "verbal" permission in this corrupt state. My luck I would get caught walking out with sheds by an overzealous CPO.

Agreed that the verbal go ahead was a slippery slope...i know the DNR park guy by first name basis and the Game Warden lives on site at this park...otherwise it could have definetly turned into a ticket or fine....Its a lil different when you can say ''Bob '' in the main office said it was ok and he knows who ''jon'' is.....i wouldnt recommend anyone who does NOT have a history with park personnel to go on a verbal go ahead...

Thanks for putting the info out here and preventing someone from getting a 150-200 $ lesson ..information is the key to knowledge..

I applaud you for spreading the word- :mrgreen:

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm not going to go into details here, but this year I ran into a CPO looking for shed antlers on private property when he was supposedly to be trying to catch tresspassers with 4-wheelers. I find it hard to believe that anyone connected or workers at these "no shed hunting allowed" state parks wouldn't pick up some sheds.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Illinois