nighttime deer

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
GErnest

nighttime deer

Postby GErnest » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 pm

I have trail cameras out but the deer only seem to come around in the middle of the night.  Any suggestions on how to get them to change their pattern?

Robert Rowland

RE: nighttime deer

Postby Robert Rowland » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Unless they are spooked too much, they will begin to change their pattern as the weather changes and the rut gets closer.  Too much human activity, and they may leave the area or stay nocturnal.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:54 pm

1. Create heavy cover.

2. Hunt the downwind side of said cover.

3. Make yourself as scent-free, quiet and invisable as possible, at all times.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:43 pm

I can't remember if someone told me this or if I read it somewhere, but seems like I heard a story about a guy who would conduct most of there hunting location activities at night so as to, I'm assuming, desensitize the deer into moving more during daylight hours. Seems a bit far fetched to me. I would think that you would be more prone to just driving them out of the area since darkness is where a deer feels the safest. Anyone ever heard of this approach?

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 am

i often pondered this myself.  If daytime activity makes them nocturnal, can nocturnal activity adjust their movement to daytime?  I am doubting, but has anyone tried this?

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:47 am

It's a good question, but I am not about to run a chainsaw in the middle of the night.

...unless I'm at work, and then I'm covered by the city. [;)]

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 pm

I'd love to place stands at night, or just generally walk around out there to get the deer used to it.  But there is far too much poison ivy around, and in some places terrain is an issue.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:31 am

I would not go disturbing the deer intentionally at night.  My guess is this would probably just chase them off.  The best thing to do is have as little impact on the land.  Deer are naturally diurnal creatures.  As long as they're not pressured they'll be there mornings and evenings for you.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Shaman....don't pressure the deer too much and always leave an area for a Sanctuary for the Deer to go to and feel safe with no activity/pressure and they will be on your property a lot more.We started our Bow Season Sept. 15, and I have seen very little Deer movement but plenty of sign around,as I've been hunting I have seen more movement late in the evening just before last shooting light,this past week Oct. 2 I had a picture of a young 4-Point Buck on my trail camera at 10:00 in the morning as we've been having colder nights so this is telling me that the Deer having been moving mostly at night but are starting to get out a little more as colder weather is setting and with the Doe's getting closer to their Estrous Cycle and the Bucks going into Rut the action/movement will only increase and get better!

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:38 am

ORIGINAL: GErnest

I have trail cameras out but the deer only seem to come around in the middle of the night.  Any suggestions on how to get them to change their pattern?

Not sure I read all of the posts yet, but you never mentioned how many cameras in how big a pc of property?
Could it be that the particular trails you're watching are night time trails?

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements