Pat Durkin: First deer czar report shifts focus to solutions

Dan Salmon

Pat Durkin: First deer czar report shifts focus to solutions

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 am

For a guy that can run the gamut from Liberal hand wringer to conservative stalwart, this is a pretty level headed analysis in my opinion.

I agree with his last statement about the complete pass on baiting.

http://www.wisconsinoutdoorfun.com/article/20120408/GPG0204/204080588/Pat-Durkin-column-First-deer-czar-report-shifts-focus-solutions

bullwinkle

Re: Pat Durkin: First deer czar report shifts focus to solut

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 am

Good point on the baiting issue. We all know Dr Deer feeds his own deer, I can't imagine he could come out strongly against baiting. Plus,have you ever watched a Tv hunt in Texas without corn - there are very few

Baiting is going to be taken out as CWD spreads. It is just a matter of time. The recent outbreak up North gives and arguement for eliminating now. Over time, our hunting will improve without baiting but the guys who bait will have to get used to learning deer habits and how to kill them without corn. I quit about 7 years ago, it is much more rewarding being bait free.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I wonder if anyone ever studied how wolves use bait piles up north? Seems to me that the bait would make a great ambush site. I know the wolves are nomatic by nature but you would think the bears, yotes and wolves would use bait piles like hunters do

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I would bet they use them much like they use habitat edges like all other animals. Once you figure out where the animals stay you continue to roam in those areas.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:10 pm

bullwinkle wrote:.........but you would think the bears, yotes and wolves would use bait piles like hunters do

And how. I've seen coyotes circle around and come in down wind of bait piles. Bears would be more interested in the bait pile, since it is a lot less effort.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Return to Wisconsin