I let one walk...

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
PrairieShadow

I let one walk...

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:20 am

So last night was the first time i had been in the field this archery season. with about 1.5hrs of shooting light left a 6x5 came in to about 15yds and ate dried leaves for 5-10mins and then slowly walked off to the alfalfa field.

He wasnt real wide, about ear width, nor real tall 5-6 g2's and about 2.5 inch brow tines. He had great mass that carried all the way to the tips and seemed like a fairly mature deer, either 2.5 or 3.5. was hard to judge.

My guess is he would have went somewhere between 130 and 140p&y. I know there are bigger deer in the area and what the heck would i do the rest of the year if i shot my buck in Sept.

What would have you done? I may be starting to kick myself a little for not shooting him as this is all that has been on my mind today!

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

RE: I let one walk...

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:50 am

It is a tale of two properties for me.

In Iowa, I would have a tough decision to make. The property I hunt has given me a pair of 160 class bucks and I know it holds Booners. A solid 3.5 years is my threshold, so my rational side would say wait if ther was any doubt. But a 130 class with hefty mass, might cause me to get giddy and age him up one year. It has happened to me before.

In Missouri, he is a dead deer! I have owned that property for 5 years and have passed on a lot of 2.5 year olds. Every 3.5+ I have encountered has given me the slip (including one archery miss). If a buck looks like a possible 3.5 and presents his vitals, I'm taking him.

In either case, no regrets. Field judging is an educated guess and hunting is emotional. No safe, legal and ethical shot is a bad one.

But back to you. Congrats on a great encounter with an awesome animal! You have to walk away smiling. If things pan out on a bigger buck this year, it was worth it. If they don't, you had a great hunt and you know deep inside that he was yours. It's still worth it. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am

Congrats thats what we all are hoping for. i wouldve taken him but I dont have the 160's on the wall ( Im jealous JPH)Image  and any pope and young that walks by me will have an arrow sent its way! Good luck I hope it pays off for you!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:18 pm

I forgot to mention, My scent control must work as he walked into my stand the very same trail i had used a couple hours before.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I will have to say though that if he makes a habit of this, his days will be very numbered!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:28 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

I forgot to mention, My scent control must work as he walked into my stand the very same trail i had used a couple hours before.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I will have to say though that if he makes a habit of this, his days will be very numbered!

LOL! If he makes a habit of it, someone is trying to tell you something!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:34 pm

I would have smoked him.  (As evidenced by my opening day 8pt this year).  I've only shot 9 deer with a bow, and only 2 decent bucks.  I've just started to pass on small 1.5 year olds.  Anything 2.5 or older is gonna get a Patriot missle to the "pump station".
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I would have smoked him.  (As evidenced by my opening day 8pt this year).  I've only shot 9 deer with a bow, and only 2 decent bucks.  I've just started to pass on small 1.5 year olds.  Anything 2.5 or older is gonna get a Patriot missle to the "pump station".

I love it! Know what you want in a hunt, and go for it. Life is too short.

I'm on record as saying that I think experienced hunters should consider protecting yearling bucks for improved conservation. But I think it is really cool when we set our own standards and persue them to the fullest.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:57 pm

congrats of being able to pass up a possible 130-140 class buck I know I couldnt have done it because that would have been far and away my biggest buck... I have heard hunters talk about this before about passing on a shooter because they know there is a bigger deer in the area... Not really my thing because with cameras in the woods I take a look at all my biggest bucks from the camera and make my mind up right away that if anyone of the big bucks come through, done deal. I also look at it this way there is always a bigger buck that nobody knows about on the property because he doesnt show himself.....

One more thing if you feel like you should have taken the shot then myabe you should have because then we could all look at the pics of him in the back of your truck, lol. Never pass on a buck the first day you would be happy with shooting the last day.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Believe it or not i have had my cams out this whole year and never had a pic of this boy. Maybe starting to roam a touch trying to establish their territory.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 pm

I would have passed him too, next year you may see him return as 170 class back. I've passed alot of young bucks and it's awesome when they return to your area, and you can id them from thier markings. Even if only one buck out of 10 that you passed makes it to next year, you will know you helped the buck herd age structure. Now if we can just convince other hunters to do the same!
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management