The story and result of hunt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shadow

The story and result of hunt

Postby shadow » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:56 pm

So here I am waiting since last season to have at it again, a bunch of new equipment, a subscription to D&DH magazine, and alot of time preparing my deer hunting property for the hunt. Because of the warm weather I have not yet been out there hunting.

Now just last week, Thursday to be exact, I get a phone call from a board commisioner of a neighboring town telling me that I was able to hunt the towns lake property and forest I asked to hunt, they allow 12 people on something like 250 acres which is also next to a large orchard. After picking up my permit and map on Friday the 3rd, I went and scouted an area I felt may be promising. The sign looked good with some trails and fresh droppings and after quickly scanning the trees I pick one. I started removing a few dead branches from the base when I then looked up and notice some old screw in steps that were growing into the tree! I move to a tree close to it but...Wow, a place I've never been before, finding an area from a map then picking a tree that someone in the past had obviously hunted from. What are the chances? Well it gets better.

Saturday the 4th of October, I wake up early, I could not shower becuse of arm patches that could not get wet, patches from my allergist to test for allergies, so I'm kinda ripe. I drive out there, a beautiful morning, moon is out, cold, nice and dark and as I start my hike into the woods I am thinking that somethings missing. I hike up the toughest part of the trail, when I realize my bow is in the backseat of my truck. Not good. So I drop my pack and treestand and I go get the bow.

After my hike back in, I easily find my tree and set up. I start my climb, go up the 15 or so feet and strap my stand to the tree for extra safety and pull up my bow. I then get out and nock an arrow when I then notice my release is not in my pocket! What is going on this morning? Here I am thinking maybe I should stay on stand and if I should see a deer that gives me a shot I draw back and just use my fingers to make the release! That thought quickly faded as I knew I had a backup release in my pack, so I go through the motions, lower the bow, unstrap the safety strap from my stand, slowly descend in darkness moving my safety strap down as I go and  at ground level I finally get the release from the pack and go back up. I am lucky I had packed that extra release with me, the one that should have been in my pocket was found later on my reloading bench at home.

Its now 7 a.m. the feel of anything missing is gone, I got everything I need and I'm hunting.

The first deer I see must have winded me, remember the ripe smell from not taking a scent free shower.. then hiking an extra 400 yards half of which was uphill to retrieve my bow from the comfort of the backseat....and then the extra tree descent and climb from the eagerness to hunt and not pick up the release I needed from its basement home. So all I see is its white tail at 40 yards, its stops looks in my direction and slowly walks off, the wind was blowing in its direction at the time so thats what it had to have been. No call I blew would get it to come back. That was 8 a.m. All was quiet for a while, the wind then changed, luckily, and at 8:50 I saw a small buck slowly feeding toward my stand.
I stood up, got my bow ready and when he was at 25 yards I drew back and waited until he was 15 yards from the tree. I grunted softly, he stopped and the arrow flew. It went in on the drivers side angled through and came out the passenger side, a heart shot! This guy ran about 15 yards stopped and looked around ran another 20 yards stopped wobbled and fell over. That was it!  All within sight. I could not believe what this broadhead and the shot could do! (Muzzy MX-3 100 grain) It turned out to be a great first hunt of the season on a new area I feel may give me more chances at seeing deer and chances at shots. I am happy all turned out well after the slightly rough start of the morning. This deer was the first of the season, I am thankfull for being able to kill it, and it has already been butchered (I do not age my deer) and it now is in the freezer.
Until this Saturday when I take my daughter out to our blind.... Thanks for the read, and good luck to all of you on your hunts.

There is a whole deer and myself in the attached picture.....99.99% just can't see it. Sorry.

fasteddie

RE: The story and result of hunt

Postby fasteddie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:01 pm

Good story . Congrats on your deer !

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Thanks!
Sorry about the attached picture, once I figure out how to resize the picture I will repost it. Close ups are real bad.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Nice rear 1/4 picture....! [8|] [&:] [;)]

Glad to hear you had a good hunt....sounds like mine this morning,forgot my string release too and felt totally useless trying to draw it back with my fingers.I need to buy me a spare one to keep in my side pack,I ended up not seeing any Deer this morning so I went back home for breakfeast and grabbed my release on the patio table on my second trip out to hunt!I did get a shot at a Coyote but missed it! [:(]

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:18 am

Congrats! Judging from the  right hind leg, it is a real nice deer. [:)]

Have you tried posting the picture and checking the "Embed picture in post" option?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:21 am

Shadow's picture resized to 640 X 480

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:27 am

Hey that's better!

Hope he didn't drip any blood on the rug.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:52 am

Great story and a successful hunt.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:10 am

Great story and hunt, congrats on your kill.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:56 pm

Fasteddie...How, on your end were you able to resize the picture?
I can't even figure it out how to do it. Can you give me  some pointers?

Next

Return to General Discussions