Morel time again

jonny5buck

Morel time again

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Anyone else get any shrooming in??? The weather has some decent harvests of morels coming in so far ...at least in my neck of the woods.

2 co-workers have had great success already...one guy found about 50 his first time out this yr.

Another filled an entire table ...id hate to estimate the poundage...once in a lifetime i would think.....that large haul was from Iowa

Between work and just life in general i have only gotten out to look 2 times...already ate about a pound....

Hows the shrooming looking in your neighborhood ??? or state???

Good luck- JON~

kellory

Re: Morel time again

Postby kellory » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:04 pm

I caught 3 of my neighbors shrooming on my land, Saturday, while I was planting all my oak trees. I made it clear that the land is posted "NO TRESPASSING " for a reason, and while I haven't been out to hunt them, they are MINE. Once that was settled, I gave them permission to continue in exchange for watching my place for other trespassers and warning them off. I made sure they had my contact info, and parted on good terms. If they had asked, permission would have been free, now they get to work for it. Some people, sigh. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:17 pm

I wish you the best Kellory...and i have had my fair share of finding mushroom stems where they were plucked off by trespassers.

Isn't having trespassers who have no regards for privacy or respect for others properties watch over your land ...like having a fox watch the hen house??...

I did get out and checked by several elms on the 6acre wedge...not one mushroom....rain is needed to get things going here in Illinois.

Just checking in to see if anyone has had any luck and if so where...what state...and how big...some pics would be nice ..anybody got some of their harvests photos would be appreciated...as always good luck-Jon~

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm

jonny5buck wrote:I wish you the best Kellory...and i have had my fair share of finding mushroom stems where they were plucked off by trespassers.

Isn't having trespassers who have no regards for privacy or respect for others properties watch over your land ...like having a fox watch the hen house??...

I did get out and checked by several elms on the 6acre wedge...not one mushroom....rain is needed to get things going here in Illinois.

Just checking in to see if anyone has had any luck and if so where...what state...and how big...some pics would be nice ..anybody got some of their harvests photos would be appreciated...as always good luck-Jon~

Not exactly J5B. I am betting on human nature, and self interest (greed) to work for me. These folks live on the adjacent property to my East. They are my only close neighbors, and if they want the morels, they will chase off any competition. Besides, without cameras or some sort of alarm system, I could not stop them either. By giving them limited access, and only to shrooms, I have put them on notice that if anything comes up missing or damaged, I will hold them accountable and revoke access, followed by legal action if necessary. I have their photos and contact info on my phone, and can take the law to their door if I must. Besides, I think of it more as a sacrifice play, I am not hunting them myself at this point, so they would otherwise go to waste. This way I get three sets of eyes watching my place for anyone who does not belong. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 pm

I don't know if any other states are doing any good ,but im hearing what i already thought...this season has been the worst ''shrooming'' so far for me...we are getting some rain now and most of this week also...maybe it will help...?.....Most shroomers i have talked to have had the same luck...with a few exceptions...might be about over- :?

Return to Illinois