best youth rifles

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GTOHunter

RE: best youth rifles

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:21 pm

Sounds like Your Son is doing very good with his new Rifle BurnNurse1! [;)]

I bought one of those full size cardboard cut-outs of a Deer and let my Daughter practice shot placement on it and where to aim onto the vitals,also bought a larger target that actually showed the vitals on the Deer and it had several red triangular targets on it for use in lining the gun up.

rowdywolf

Postby rowdywolf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Victor and I recently purchased a rossi youth .243 for my 8 year old son. This will be his first year to go hunting. It is almost hunting season here in Texas and I am having some problems trying to sight the gun in. So far, I have squeezed almost 2 boxes of federal 100g power-shok bullets and I can not seem to get the grouping dialed in-even at 50 yards. I have read everyones comments here and am curious about what bullets were found to be the best fit for this gun. I bought some remingtons and winchesters. I will head out to the gun range this Wednesday to see what I can do. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

rowdywolf

Postby rowdywolf » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 am

Ok..I just got back from the gun range, and this is my findings. I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to terms, mechanics, and lingo of a gun. So bare with me. To each is his own on their results. Not every gun shoots or reacts the same.

When I first bought the gun, I took it to the gun range. Horrible results! Cleaned it up during and after really good. Puppy was dirty. Next time I took my son, so he can get the feel for the gun. I used the same ammo(federal power-shok) and came up with the same results-ALL OVER THE PLACE! Ok. Not the first time a gun has reacted like this. So I went and bought a box of remington core-lokt and winchester super-x. And after reading everyones comments, I thought it was hopeless.

Before I headed to the range today. I checked everything to make sure all was tight. It was. Then I got the idea of comparing the radius clearance between the exit radius of the bore and the radius of the bullet(stuck the bullet into the end of barrel and wiggled it). I found out that the remington and the federal was very tight either top & bottom OR right & left. There was a lil play on which ever direction wasnt tight..duh!! With the winchesters, there was clearance all the way around. All 3 brands were 100grain. HMMM, interesting.

Got to the range and started with winchester..was way off. Only fired 2 rounds at first though, before switching to remington. I heard people has had luck with it. Well initially it started closer to target, but was very unstable. Like the federals...ALL OVER THE PLACE. Shot half a box, then gave it up and went back to the winchesters. After a few shots, it was starting to look promising. And it was. The shots wasnt all over the place. YAY!! Maybe I can work with this then. When I finished, I was grouping about 1/2-1 inch off from target at 100 yards.

So if you or someone you know is having accuracy issues with this gun. I hope this can help. But again, not all guns are exactly or shoot the same.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:45 am

This is a great thread!  Gald to hear your son is doing well with his new gun burnnurse1.  My son is 11 now and has his own Marlin 60 .22 that he shoots really well. 

I hunt on private property that I don't own so I told him we would see if he could hunt there when he's 12.  For his 12th birthday I'm going to buy him a deer rifle and I think the .243 is the way I'm going to go.  It seems like a very popular and versatile round that won't be hard to find and will come in handy for long range varmit shooting too. 

He's a big kid so I'm going to get him an adult .243.  QUESTION - Does anyone have a recommendation on an affordable adult .243 that shoots accurate?    

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:23 am

Since we're on the subject has anyone shot or heard anything about a Marlin XL7 in 25-06?  I've read several reviews that state this is an excellent rifle for the price, less than $300.  I shoot a Marlin 336W 30-30 and love it, very accurate.

I guess once I start shopping it will be a toss up between what I can find in .243 and how I feel about the Marlin XL7 in 25-06 when I actually get to put my hands on one.  I think the actual hunting is the only thing that beats the excitement of shopping for a new gun, even if it's going to be your son's! 

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo