Field Notes Michigan

DeerCamp

Field Notes Michigan

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:06 am

Let's put all of our field notes in here, We'll be able to look back at hunts of ours and others and to see what happend where and when.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

WiredToHunt

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby WiredToHunt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 am

Sounds like a good idea DeerCamp. I just got back from checking out a woodlot just off of MSU's campus. I found over 20 rubs in about a 40 square foot area. Unfortunatly I dont think it's an area open for hunting, but it's good to see the bucks are gearing things up.

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:46 pm

This weekend I got out in the woods four times, three times in Kent County and once down South of Gun Lake and Shelby Twp. I saw about 30 or so doe but no bucks at all. I also did not see any rutting behavior or sign yet. I was surprised that on my land in GR I could not find a single rub or scrape, usually there are a number of them by this time of year. Also, on my way to our land this morning we saw two bucks crossing the street together, so it looks like some bucks are still traveling in their bachelor groups. Unfortunatly because of a fishing trip to Drummond Island next weekend, I won't be able to get out hunting for about two weeks. Hopefully by then the bucks will be a little more active.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 pm

Saw a lotta deer in Escanaba. The rut hadnt kicked in, but the deer where moving. The weather was very cold.

Ill be making it out to my stand in Midland tomorrow.Hope all goes well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Im heading out tomorrow afternoon, havent been out in a few days hopefully the deer will be moving, its supposed to be a great day.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Nothing exciting happened today, might have to do a little more scouting next time im out there, see if they are moving, they shouldn't be, but you never know.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Demoderby4-- Thats a bummer you didnt see anything tonight. But then again sometimes thats what makes hunting fun. You may want to get a map and do some scouting on that instead of walking through the woods. That will help you see all of the land and you wont be scaring or jumping deer. You dont want to push a mature buck, as he may move to a new home land or he may.......ugh I wont even say it..

Nocturnal ugh, its just an excuse for a bad hunter..Thats all it is.

As for me I think I might sit tomorrow night after I get out of school and get my HW done..

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Yeah i dont really feel like treking through the woods that much, i know where i want to scout, i've been thru there before, it looked pretty good, but i just came across this private land to hunt on like 3 weeks before bow season opened so i know im not going to be able to get farmiliar with the area to what i would want to, that will be the fun part of the off season next year. But im gonna sit in my stand thursday and see what happens, after that i might need to improvise, it was still fun being out there, its exciting just anticipating seeing something, but its always nice to see something lol ;)

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Anyone been trying much rattling or calling yet? Any success with that?

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:16 am

Great job guys. This is exactly what D&DH is all about: Getting back to our Stump Sitters Whitetail Study Group origins in discussing field observations. Keep it up!
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

Next

Return to Michigan