DECOYS- WHO USES THEM?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
fasteddie

RE: DECOYS- WHO USES THEM?

Postby fasteddie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 am

I have used my MacKenzi 3-4 as a decoy in the past with some luck . Had 2 doe spot it near the edge of a woods . The does came in from over 100 yards out and i shot one broadside at 20 yards . They are cumbersome to carry .
I have used the Renzo Feeding Doe with no luck a few times . The deer look at it but don't come in . My sister in law's horses seem to be attracted to it though ................

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:38 am

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter

How, JPH, did that buck react to the thinness of the montana decoy? That has been my concern about using one on a whitetail.

I am very careful to only use it under perfect conditions. I need the wind in my face and an extreemly thick wall of brush behind me. I then set up the deke so that one of the flat sides is visable only to me and the other flat side is up against a cedar or a bush. This makes it nearly impossible for a deer to get on the wrong side of it.

This set-up is not a common thing. I have a few stands that allow it, on a perfect wind. Otherwise I keep it at home rather than muff it up.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 am

Has anyone tried turkey decoys to bring deer out?  A few years ago I was turkey hunting with the decoy about 15 yrds from me, a deer came by smelled the decoy, hung out for a long time. I know that is only one instance and doesn't prove anything. I have read turkey make deer feel safe, which makes some sense to me. I would think this time of year might help pull deer more easily to a bean field.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:06 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn

Has anyone tried turkey decoys to bring deer out?  A few years ago I was turkey hunting with the decoy about 15 yrds from me, a deer came by smelled the decoy, hung out for a long time. I know that is only one instance and doesn't prove anything. I have read turkey make deer feel safe, which makes some sense to me. I would think this time of year might help pull deer more easily to a bean field.

I've heard the same thing. I have also seen deer feeding with turkeys and I have seen deer and turkeys alert one another to danger. I cannot see where a turkey decoy (if it were totally scent free) could hurt.

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:41 pm

well I went out and did it I bought a deer decoy tonight really can't wait to take it out and give it a try

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:53 am

Yes I do and they work great I also use a turkey call during deer season...it puts the deer at ease...the other thing about turkey decoys are you can use them during gun season...though I've often thought it may be difficult to explain to a DEC officer I was decoying deer and not turkey out of season [&:]...hhhmmm suppose I'll have to call on that....good for yotes too....if you haven't seen any deer in a while....spray them down good with scent killer though...[;)]

Previous

Return to Best Practices