Missed my Deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
danesdad

RE: Missed my Deer

Postby danesdad » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:32 pm

That's hunting.  You learn something every time out.  Stick close to the acorns and you'll continue to see deer.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Well to me it sounds like your hooked for life! As far as the miss, everyone is going to miss sooner or later. I hope ya get her next time tho. Good Luck buddy!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:35 am

Hang in their you'll get that first deer. When you do it is unlike any other feeling!

I've only been bow hunting for three years, and hunting in general for five so I consider myself a beginner still. I had no one really to show me the ropes so I just kinda dove in head first. The very first time I drew back my bow with an arrow nocked I, ummmm, lets just say didn't have the strength to come to full draw (on a target not a deer!). I struggled to get to the let off, but I just could not. Not wanting to give in I went ahead and triggered my release. My hand was in front of my mouth (cause I had no idea of proper form). Suddenly releasing 70lbs with your hand in front of your mouth cuases physics to take over. You have the arrow shooting forward and your hand moving backwards... BANG! right in the kisser. My first shot drew blood, my own.  Two weeks later and lots and lots of shooting and asking some really dumb beginner questions, plus getting the poundage backed down to where I could manage it and I decide I am ready to go out.

I was in the stand not 15 minutes and two small bucks come right up the trail I am hunting. I put a double lung shot on the lead buck. Wow that was easy! That turned out to be way misleading. 2 years later and alot of misses and blown "perfect" setups later I have missed all the deer I have tried to bring down with the exception of two does. In spite of my miserable success rate I look forward to every chance I get, I plan and anticipate every hunt like it was my first hoping to repeat that first bow kill I had that November morning.

FYI - I am getting better at archery and at predicting where the deer are and getting better position to shoot.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Previous

Return to General Discussions