Okay ,

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
NWPAHunter

Okay ,

Postby NWPAHunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:30 pm

ok, heres the deal.. Getting pics of 2 good buck, an 8 and an 11. the 11 is a TANK,  IMO. The problem is I'm getting the pics in an orchard and the big guys are staying out of ther until dark....Like, 11pm-3am.. Should I try and find hist staging and transition areas? Or hunt the orchard once or twice a week and hope he comes out. I am a bit skittish about going towards where he may be bedding, as he is already pretty nocturnal and I dont want to bump him much more????  There is another orchard and a cornfield not more than 5/8 of a mile away, and I am sure he is hitting the corn as well. There is some logging going on, as well as a 2 or 3 year old cut in the head of a hollow where he may be bedding and some hemlocks amd good vver towards the bottm.....If it matters I am getting pics of at least 7 legal buck and 2 sub-AR der and maybe only 10 doe and fawsn.... Any tips would be appreciated.

JPH

RE: Okay ,

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Be cool. It is early and he will begin to move more during daylight as October gives way to November.

My advice? Play the wind at all times. Use low impact hunting techniques. Hang in there. Once they start moving, anything can happen. There are no shortcuts here.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Hard to say, but if you know where those does are, defenitely hunt there during the rut.  I would keep an eye out for when that corn comes off and try to be there when it does.  If they are in there then they will be moving.  Hope you get him, Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

I too would be hesitant to pressure him too much near his bedding area. I also agree with the idea of keeping tabs on the does. I might also consider hunting downwind of what the likeliest food source is nearest his bed and be there midday.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 pm

i agree here, it might be real easy to push him. sounds like he has a lot of food and likely tons of cover. he probably doesnt bed too far away, so you might be closer to his bedding area than you think. i have a lot of deer bedding right in the corn for parts of the day, if he's using corn he might even do that. one option i would try is if you have corn available to hunt near, check the edge of the field for tracks. if you find an area where some big fat tracks come and go from the field, try hunting that edge of the corn. you might catch him leaving or entering the corn, and that could happen any time of day. im getting trail camera pics of deer entering and leaving the corn fields at all times of the day, and surprisingly, mostly during day light hours. no huge bucks, but some small ones. mid day activity all the same.
i would definitely try to locate a bedding area because that is good information to know, just try not to push him out of it. its frustrating having deer move in your area the middle of the night. sometimes all you can do is wait until the rut and hope he passes through while youre there. he will pass through, just is a matter of whether you happen to be hunting that day or not. or, you could dig a giant hole in the orchard and cover it with sticks and c'mere deer.

NWPAHunter

Postby NWPAHunter » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:31 am

I agree that he may be bedding close, and is probably going to keep to the area as long as there are doe. I know its early but I havent had pics like this during season.....EVER.  I have also never held out for one or two particular buck, not saying that another dandy wont show up, but knowing what potential there is I want to set my goals high, so he'll have to be 10pt or better or the big 8. I will try to put up pics. The pics I have on the pc arent the good ones they are still in the cam in the woods. I am thinking of heading towards the hollow and cover and trying to find some of his rubs or tracks. I have a good idea where some of the deer in this area bed but I didn't spend alot of time here preseason because for the last few years I have been burned by a few jerkoffs and just got overly frustrated with people s=neaking in to the property screwing up my hunting and riding their ATV's around the feeding areas an hour before dark or even closer. So I had moved to the big woods and enjoyed the quiet and the solitude and lack of people and it has payed off. But so far noone knows what is going on in this area and I hope to keep it that way.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to keep you guys posted on my progress...

Return to General Discussions