Fishing

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
jonny5buck

Fishing

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Just thought i would see how many are as big of fisherman as they are hunters???

It takes me a while after season ends to make the swing from hunting /scouting/shed hunting/....to actual fishing mode...once we get a little stability with regards to this up and down weather i will be hitting it hard. Im suprised by the fact that i have turned into such a huge panfisherman..i love fishing for the crappies and gills..Of course being born in Illinois i also have slammed on the Largemouth bass..[biggest just under 10lbs] and my biggest Smallie was 18-3/4 inches...i prefer creeks and streams...i also fish some crystal clear quarries.my huge Largemouth came from a quarry in Kane county ,Illinois...he and 99% of all the bass i catch get released.

Im feeling the itch to get back up to Wisconsin and do some walleye fishing.....during the hot July-August months i do a couple overnite catfishing stints with a few friends,,good times.

Deebz

Re: Fishing

Postby Deebz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm with ya Jon... I grew up fishing the Indian Creek and Fox River just upstream of Ottawa... I actually would have told you I was more of a fisherman than a deer hunter until the last 10 years or so... My best friend and I used to literally spend the entire weekend camping and fishing down on the creek when I was a kid. I'm living about an hour from Kickapoo State Park now... I absolutely LOVE the gill fishing there... Plenty of options for bonus catfish, largemouth, leftover trout from stocking. I even caught 2 jumbo perch last time out.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Fishin' is what hunters do in the off season. ;) I got a 14' v-hull with a 5hp sitting on a trailer waiting to go. I have maps for (I believe) every lake and waterway in the state of Ohio. When are you coming up to fish? Bring something with a trailer hitch, I have no pull vehicle at this time. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:51 am

When I was ten fishing was my first introduction to the outdoors. I grew up within walking distance of Lake Erie. There was an elderly man (I guess that would be me now) who lived two doors down that went perch fishing every morning at a local pier. He told us that he would take us, but we had to demonstrate to him that we (my brother and I)could cast a rod far and straight enough to not tangle up others who were fishing near by. After accomplishing that we went most every day, coming home with at least a bucket of perch in our wagon. He taught us everything about perch fishing, how to snell a hook, how to filet fish, when to set the hook, even how to get the lead out of a car battery and make sinkers. (Can't believe that are parents let us melt lead at 10 and13 yrs old.
Now I still chase perch and walleye on Lake Erie and Steelhead in the rivers.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

I live 400 yards from Watts Bar Lake on the TN river.....I just finished fishing the crappie run and will start bass fishing soon....Tournament bass fishing is real big here....A lot of my clients spend more on their truck and boat than the trailer they live in....

There's wildcat tournaments every Friday night and about 2 big sponsored tournaments every month, but I'm not into that...I used to have a 24 ft fish & ski with 150 hp, live well, depth finder etc. but never got into contest fishing...I just don't need to blast down the river at 60+ mph anymore...

Now I've got a 24 ft pontoon boat that I play with and a jon boat and trolling motor that I take out in my cove....If I catch something great and if I don't....so what....still fun...

A few years ago, my bud and I took my pontoon boat down the river to Mobile Bay on the Gulf....went down the Tom Bigby waterway...Gals drove down with the trailer to get us...Took 7 days to get there and 7 hrs to get home...quite an experience....lost a quart of blood to mosquitoes...

Guess I've reached "old fart" status...

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Im not as avid as I used to be. I get a few times every summer and slay some big bluegills, or throwing a few casts in small streams in my area and see if I can pull out a huge trout, and sometimes I do. People in my area don't get excited for the trout streams at all. I love them.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I tried catch and release bow fishing, but that didn't work so well.... :oops: ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Haven't done it yet, but I really do want to get into bowfishing... there are some serious carp in the creeks around here
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Deebz wrote:Haven't done it yet, but I really do want to get into bowfishing... there are some serious carp in the creeks around here

That was a joke Deebz! There is no such thing as catch and release bow fishing. ;) i used to bow fish, but I haven't in years.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd like to try bow fishing and carp are plentiful round here, but have no earthly idea for a useful purpose for the darn things after I get em...If I thought I was doing a service removing them from the lake, that's be OK, but target practice on an animal I don't intend to eat doesn't seem right and I don't intend to eat carp... :(

Next

Return to Off Topic