X Files: The Whitetail Conspiracies

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Corey Graff

X Files: The Whitetail Conspiracies

Postby Corey Graff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:49 am

We've just posted the first part of a thought-provoking article by Brian Lovett, entitled "Legends of the Deer Woods."

Give it a read - Click Here - and then share your favorite deer legends here.

What's your favorite DNR conspiracy?
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

Squirrelhawker

RE: X Files: The Whitetail Conspiracies

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:50 am

ORIGINAL: Online Editor

We've just posted the first part of a thought-provoking article by Brian Lovett, entitled "Legends of the Deer Woods."

Give it a read - Click Here - and then share your favorite deer legends here.

What's your favorite DNR conspiracy?

Glad to hear that NY state doesn't have a monopoly on myths and legends.
 Everytime the coyote and mountian lion myth comes up my friends in the DEC roll their eyes and say "Oh, you mean...project X?" [:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 am

I have a close friend who is in a high ranking position in the Iowa DNR (yes, I have a friend). I have asked him about various conspiracies such as "the mountain lion release" or the "hand picking during the non-resident lottery". He wishes they were true!

To his way of thinking, the orginizational skills needed to pull off something of that magnitude would be great to have. He laughs and says, "We can't even get everyone to attend a meeting on time, let alone keep crates full of cougars hidden from the public".

We were at a party one evening and I told another friend (yes I have two) that or DNR buddy had a timber wolf caged in his garage, to be released the next day. My buddy played along. It was pretty funny....I guess you had to be there.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:45 am

I've harvested some mature doe's that were pushing the 140 pound range, live weight. I guess I'll have to buy some hanging scales to weigh the deer next time I harvest a big doe. I've even seen doe's that with bodies that looked like they were built like a mature buck. Sorry, I'm not sold on the doe's not weighing over 140 pounds live weight "myth". [&:] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:51 am

One of the funniest components to this deal is that it is always someones uncle's, cousin's, daughter's best friend who SAW the whole thing go down, helicopters, ear tags and all. [:D]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:02 am

Up next to the Iowa border, I've also heard the stories about the Iowa DNR releasing mountain lions.  I've also heard wolves were released. 

Can't say I've heard any about Missouri DNR.

Good article - finally something that wasn't run of the mill here's what to plant or here's how to hunt that has been hashed and re-hashed.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:28 am

Gee, I didn't know a 140+ lb doe was all that uncommon.  I've seen them. I've taken them.  I guess I'll have to document the next one a little better. Yes, we have big does and big bucks.  My last one went 270, and I've seen a 300 pounder hanging.  Frankly, when you get to cleaning something that is as big as you, it gets a bit creepy. The bag we threw the viscera into weighed close to 80 lbs.

As to the whole mountain lion thing, I have to admit that I got dragged in kicking and screaming.  I hunted McCreary County, KY for several years with a local fellow as my guide.  Joe was convinced of panthers being relocated into the county, especially the black ones.  He and I saw tracks on several occasions.

And once. . .
[url=http://blackholecoffeehouse.blogspot.com/2004/10/re-post-whats-strangest-animal-ive.html]
What's the strangest Animal I've Ever Seen Hunting[/url]

It made a believer out of me.  I've also talked to a park ranger recently that knew Joe.  He laughed at the black panther stories, but also had to admit his daughter is another eye witness and she's a firm believer.

No, I'm not going to tell you it's all a big Gummint conspiracy and black helicopters are dumping rattlesnakes from helicopters and. .. oh, you hadn't heard that one. Sorry, I'm not going to lay it on all that thick, because frankly I don't have much of a stake in it.  You can even call me a liar about the big doe.  On the other hand, if you stop scoffing for a minute and dummy up, and ask the right leading questions, you might -- MIGHT get an invite to come along.  That's what I did with old Joe, and now that he's gone, there's just me. 

For all those years of Ginsenging and deer hunting, and turkey hunting, and just messing around, he showed me a bunch of spots and told me a lot of stories and the only way I have to keep my memory of Joe alive is to try and pass some of it along, and if you would all stop smirking for a minute and act civilized I could show you where I saw the painter, I can show you the way to Swift's Silver Mine, and I can show you the cave where Joe and I hid out from the rain and got to talking about hoop snakes and glass snakes and 'Strologers and witches and such.  Heck, you might even get invited up to the farm to see the Chandelier Buck, and maybe get a shot at him.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:47 am

Well Call me a lier because one hunting season my sister in-law using my browning and me using a borrowed mossberg( her gun was stolen at the airport) shot two doe that we weighed ungutted they went 142 and mine 149...2 biggest doe ever taken on the property

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:06 am

I think that the article was talking about does that field dressed at 150.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:11 am

Only 140 live weight, that is truley a myth, i have shoot two doe that were dressed out at 128 and 132 respectivley...and those were weighed at check stations, not my scale..

so i know the guts of a deer weigh at least 15 lbs if not 20 or more

140...myth busted

Next

Return to General Discussions