Fishing

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kellory

Re: Fishing

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I have a friend who eats carp. He spent time in time in the service, and see nothing wrong with it. Others I know use them for garden fertilizer.

Edit: I know the logistics would be a nightmare, and the scheduling would never work, but the idea of a large portion of us descending on some camping/ fishing lake/ park for a few days of campfires, fish frys, and tall tales would be quite amusing! :lol: 8-) ;) .
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 am

Shoot the carp, gut them, and then have them smoked (or do it yourself). When the smokin is done, pull the hide and bones away and run the meat through a hand meat grinder with the coarse grate.(This also takes care of any bones that were missed). Mix the ground up meat with Miracle Whip or Mayo until the consistency is correct to spread on a cracker. We used to do this with carp and with the black sucker that we speared in the spring. It is wonderful. It also goes well with cold beer.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 am

Wanderer wrote:Shoot the carp, gut them, and then have them smoked (or do it yourself). When the smokin is done, pull the hide and bones away and run the meat through a hand meat grinder with the coarse grate.(This also takes care of any bones that were missed). Mix the ground up meat with Miracle Whip or Mayo until the consistency is correct to spread on a cracker. We used to do this with carp and with the black sucker that we speared in the spring. It is wonderful. It also goes well with cold beer.

Interesting recipe...I'd always heard to put the carp on a cedar board covered in italian dressing and bake at 300 for 2 hours....After done, throw away the carp and eat the board.... :D

Actually, I'm just downstream from where the Clinch river drains into the TN river. The Clinch river drains the Oak Ridge Nuclear Facility which was begun in the 40's....

There's so much mercury and radioactive iodine and god knows what else in our sediment that signs are posted not to consume catfish or other bottom feeders...

I do eat some crappie and an occasional bluegill or bass but throw all the catfish back....I'm sure carp would be the same problem...

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 am

I got the joke Kell :lol: ... I just really want to get a bowfishing rig and try my hand. I know a few guys that like to get rough fish to use as bait for traps and such, and I've also heard of people using them for garden fertilizer. An old guy I used to know would seine up carp out of the creek and then use them to make a homemade stinkbait for catfish... awful stuff, but he always had a basket full of catfish...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Fishing is actually my primary adventure/sport/endeavor (we also can do it most year round)
I have a 23' offshore fishing boat and recently acquired a 13' Whaler for nearshore stuff. I'm still an offshore guy primarily, but with the lil ones.........I gotta stay close to shore with them.
Been doing it since I was a boy.

Here is a slide show of pics of me my friends the last few years or so, all types of FL fish Grouper,king (mackeral), yellow tail, Tarpon, AJ et

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v53/bo444444/fishing/?albumview=slideshow
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks for the side show. I'm jealous.
By the way, 149 more days until my French River adventure in Ontario.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Very nice Sailfish! I have a Florida ship captain in the family, He does all the fishing tournaments. I hope to go out with him, one of these days. That looks like a lot of fun.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Thought I'd share a King salmon that I caught on Lake Ontario last summer. One of two 22 lb+ that I caught. I've been cedar planking them on the grill ever since.
Attachments
IMG_1172.jpg
IMG_1172.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Deebz wrote:I got the joke Kell :lol: ... I just really want to get a bowfishing rig and try my hand. I know a few guys that like to get rough fish to use as bait for traps and such, and I've also heard of people using them for garden fertilizer. An old guy I used to know would seine up carp out of the creek and then use them to make a homemade stinkbait for catfish... awful stuff, but he always had a basket full of catfish...

Deebz, they make a reel that screws into the stabilizer mount. I used monofiliment, but I'll bet that firewire or spiderwire would work much better. I would highly recommend, you build a soft target that can be sunk no more than 36'' deep in water. Refraction will play heck with your aiming points. Get some practice. You might try a floating target (with target below) and an anchor line that lets it move about. I never shot more than about 3 feet, just because unless the water is crystal clear, you can't see much, and the arrow slows down pretty rapidly. Defiantly get some fishing/ polarized glasses to be able to see through the surface glare better. And yes, it is a lot of fun. ;)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 am

THAT fish is a slob! My wife started me to cookin on the cedar last year too.

Have u eaten one u caught sashimi style?

Ohio farms wrote:Thought I'd share a King salmon that I caught on Lake Ontario last summer. One of two 22 lb+ that I caught. I've been cedar planking them on the grill ever since.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic