Turkey count down

msbadger

Turkey count down

Postby msbadger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Well guys/gals 15 more days...had a bird fly over my head today while I was tilling up some ground....not a single gobble but it has been very warm and dry...another year they are probably henned up already[&:]....we'll see...all blinds are done and I'm raring to go[:D] 

Headrush

RE: Turkey count down

Postby Headrush » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:14 pm

I got on here today and wanted to wish everyone a safe and successful season. What have you been seeing?

I've watched a flock around the corner from me for about a month now and for the first 2 weeks there were 4 Long beards 4 Hens and 2 jakes. As of almost 2 weeks ago the Toms are gone when I usually see the whole flock go to roost. We've seen Toms on either side of the road the past week but never together, so I'm thinking they've split up? What do you think?

Got 2 others pinned down on another piece thats actually right behind the place I work. My buddy hears them gobble on the roost when he slams his truck door. Shot 2 there over the past 2 years , 23 lbs and 22 1/2 pounder last year. Trying to get him his first bird so wish us luck. Will post pics if the plan comes together.

One more thing. Anyone know how long it takes for a fan/tail feather to grow back? We were chasing a Big tom last year with a broken middle tail feather. Thanks

Good luck!
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

msbadger

RE: Turkey count down

Postby msbadger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:01 am

Tomorrows the big day....went to camp yesterday where the birds are normally very vocal...got there at 6 am...not a peep from a single bird...not sure if yotes or winter may have hit them or they have become pressured by surrounding hunting properties....Saw a lot of sign of very deep snows there this winter....many young trees debarked from ground 4ftup...Did see areas that may have been scratched ...but the squirrel down there...have tricked me once or twice on that...things are huge..so I look for droppings and feathers ...no sign...but I did build up my ground blind...will be hitting one of my blinds here this weekend...still not a single gobble heard...but they have scratched up in several areas of the property...think two different flocks....Good luck guys...take your Thermal Cells...blk flies have hatched[;)] 

Return to New York